Swimming and diving wins openers

By EMILY STEINER

Although both the Pitt men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams both won their first two… Although both the Pitt men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams both won their first two meets of the year by convincing scores, the most impressive performance might have come from junior Stacie Safritt.

Safritt won three events at each meet, at St. Bonaventure Friday and at Syracuse Saturday, to pace the women’s team to a 190-53 blowout of the Bonnies and a 155-86 win over the Orange.

The women won all but one event against St. Bonaventure, and Pitt coach Chuck Knoles liked what he saw in both meets.

“I was definitely impressed with the women both days,” Knoles said. “I think they’ll be a team to beat all season.”

The men’s team wasn’t beat this past weekend, either. It overcame early problems to win 148-95 at St. Bonaventure, and took care of Syracuse 154-89.

“Our men really struggled through [the St. Bonaventure meet],” Knoles said, “but working your way through obstacles is a way to gain maturity.”

The Panthers will return to action in their home opener Saturday at noon, as they host Cincinnati at Trees Pool.

Pitt at St. Bonaventure Men 148-95, Women 190-53

The women’s team won all but one event in their season opener on the road Friday, allowing the Bonnies their only win in the 100-yard breaststroke.

“Our women swam stellarly on Friday,” Knoles said.

There were three multiple event-winners for the Pitt women.

Safritt won three events, contributing to the winning 200-medley relay team and individually winning the 100 and 200 freestyles.

The win also included a sweep of the 50 free, won by senior Kelly O’Hara with a time of 25.02. She was followed by sophomore Tiffany Malatesta and freshman Sara Sullivan.

Starting off her Pitt swimming career with two wins, freshman Katie Cutrell won the 500 and 1000 freestyle events.

Senior Brittany Stevens was also a member of the medley relay team, and she took the win in the 100 butterfly, an event in which she set a pool record with a time of 56.51.

“[The Reilly Center pool] is a very old pool,” Knoles said. “She went faster than any person to ever swim there.”

Also posting wins for the women were sophomore Ryann Kishbaugh (100 back), freshman Cookie McIntyre (400 individual medley), sophomore Margot Eckstrom (1-meter diving), freshman Mallory Mullady (3M diving) and the 200-yard medley and freestyle relays.

“Our women’s team is very deep and extremely fast,” Knoles said.

On the men’s side, Freshman Zach Phillips led the men’s team to its victory by winning three events in the meet, including the 1000 free, which was swept by the Panthers, as senior Scott Shearer and freshman Derek Schmitt followed in sequence.

Phillips also won the 400 IM and 500 freestyle.

Senior Warren Barnes set a pool record by clocking in at 56.95 in the 100-yard breaststroke.

Also posting wins for the men’s team were freshman Andrzej Dubiel (100 backstroke), junior Alex Volovetski (1M and 3M diving) and the 200 freestyle relay team of Geoff Morgan, Andrew Burkey, Matt Scherer and Steve Jackson.

Pitt at Syracuse Men 154-89, Women 155-86

Junior diver Alex Volovetski won both diving events and set a record in the 1-meter dive, pacing Pitt against Syracuse Saturday.

Volovetski won the 3-meter diving with a score of 357.37, and the 1M with a 392.02, surpassing his record of 380.03 set last year.

In addition, the men’s swim team had five multiple event winners against the Orange.

“The men stepped up and did some very fine racing,” Knoles said. “They were able to have a meet, get it out of the way the first day, and do well the next.”

Phillips had another stellar performance as he led the Panthers as a triple winner. He cruised to win the 1000 free in 9:43.41, the 500 free and was a member of the winning 200-freestyle relay team.

Other multiple winners for Pitt were Dubiel (400 medley relay, 50 free), Barnes (400 medley relay, 200 breaststroke), Andrew Kyrejko (400 medley relay, 200 fly) and Alex McLaren (200 free, 400 free relay).

Safritt again led the women in the second meet of the year, winning three events.

She took the 50 and 100 freestyle events, and later contributed to the winning 400 freestyle relay.

Two other multiple-event winners were junior Agnes Mago (200 free, 400 free relay) and sophomore Margo Ekstrom (diving, 1M and 3M).