Big East bubble teams should get an NCAA bid

By JEFF GREER

It’s time for the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee to change its ways. It’s only… It’s time for the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee to change its ways. It’s only November, but it’s already clear that there are at least nine – if not closer to 11 or 12 – teams in the Big East capable of playing the NCAA Tournament.

Before anything gets hairy or shakes out, the Selection Committee should consider giving a few extra bids to the best conference in America.

It’s clear which teams stand alone at the top of the conference – Georgetown and Louisville – but, unlike the Pac-10, everyone’s catchy pick for this year’s best conference, there are actually quality teams after the top few programs.

Start rattling off potentially competitive clubs in the Big East. Count them with your fingers. Now look down. If you look like me when I go home – hands spread open, clearly asking for money – then you’re probably wondering how there could possibly be a fair way to exclude any of those teams from what is supposed to be the tournament featuring the best teams in America.

I count 10 teams (at least) in the Big East that should, by the end of the season, be formidable candidates for tournament invitations. Aside from Georgetown and Louisville, the list is daunting: Pitt, Connecticut, Syracuse, Villanova, Marquette, Notre Dame, Providence and West Virginia. Seton Hall looks like it’s on the rise, too, and despite its extremely rough start, Cincinnati will be tough to beat.

With all of that quality, the 18-game regular season conference schedule will be absolutely brutal. Teams like Providence, Notre Dame and West Virginia might finish 8-10, solely because of the difficult road games and games against ranked teams, but those teams possess more talent and more credibility than a lot of the teams the Selection Committee has recently grown fond of including.

Yes, I’m talking about you, Old Dominion.

About Memphis, people say you can only play your schedule. Well, how about Providence?

The Friars can only play their schedule, which includes games at Marquette, Connecticut, Syracuse, Notre Dame, Pitt and West Virginia, and home contests vs. West Virginia, Louisville, Georgetown, Connecticut and Villanova. That’s not an easy conference schedule.

It’s too early to start saying that these teams should all be in or out of the tournament field. That would be ridiculous. But it’s not too early to request fairness in the selection process, especially if any Big East teams are on the bubble.

The Big East shouldn’t be penalized for its size.

Let’s get to the rapid fire: