national briefs

By JEFF GREER

New York Yankees bench coach Don Mattingly is ready to manage the Yankees, his agent… New York Yankees bench coach Don Mattingly is ready to manage the Yankees, his agent told the Newark Star-Ledger. The report refuted an earlier story that said Mattingly would be uncomfortable replacing Yankees manager Joe Torre.

“Basically, there was no truth to it, it was completely fabricated,” Mattingly’s agent Ray Schulte told ESPN radio. “[Mattingly] considers Joe a mentor and would love to have him continue, but if the Yankees felt it was the best situation [for Mattingly to take over as manager], Mattingly would do it.”

Kansas City running back Michael Bennett is headed to Tampa Bay, ESPN.com’s Len Pasquerelli reported yesterday. The Buccaneers, in need of help at running back, acquired the Chiefs’ backup tailback, and there are no confirmed reports of what the Chiefs received in exchange for Bennett.

Bennett made a trip to the Pro Bowl in 2002 after rushing for 1,296 yards and five touchdowns for Minnesota.

The Colorado Rockies are in the World Series for the first time in their short franchise history. The Rockies swept the Arizona Diamondbacks, owner of the National League’s best regular season record.

The Rockies have one week off before the World Series begins Oct. 24 at the home stadium of the American League champions, because the American League won this year’s All Star Game. No probable starters have been named for the Rockies yet.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said the Super Bowl could someday take place overseas, CBS Sports.com reported. Goodell told reporters on Monday that the NFL is interested in London as a potential host site.

Wembley Stadium, England’s national stadium, would be the preferred site. The stadium holds 90,000.

The Miami Dolphins and the New York Giants will play at Wembley Stadium on Oct. 28.