City focuses on youth violence

By LAUREN MYLO

This week, Allegheny County chief executive Dan Onorato collaborated with Mayor Luke… This week, Allegheny County chief executive Dan Onorato collaborated with Mayor Luke Ravenstahl on projects to lower youth crime rates and increase Downtown development.

United Way commissioned the University of Pittsburgh to conduct a Community Needs Assessment Report over the past year to evaluate the increase in youth violence and drug use.

This report prompted the reinstatement of the Youth Crime Prevention Council. Co-chaired by Frederick Thieman, Buhl Foundation president, and Court of Common Pleas judge Kim Berkeley Clark, the YCPC will aim at prevention, not just increased punishment.

The Buhl Foundation is a Pittsburgh organization given by Henry Buhl Jr. in his will in 1927 for “the well-being of the citizens of the City of Pittsburgh and the County of Allegheny,” according to its website.

“Law enforcement alone can’t solve this problem,” Clark said in a press release from Onorato’s office. “Law enforcement combined with strong prevention efforts and support from organizations like the United Way and The Buhl Foundation will.”

“Reinstating the Youth Crime Prevention Council is the next logical step in our effort to aggressively stem the rising tide of youth violence in our community,” Onorato said in the press release.

“The county is looking forward to working with the city, United Way, Buhl Foundation and other organizations as we work to prevent and address youth crime and violence throughout our region.”

Ravenstahl has similar hopes.

“The future of our great city lies within our youth. Too many of our young people are dying, and it is critical that we work together to stop it now,” Ravenstahl said. “Our recently established Youth Commission and Crime Cabinet will work under this coordinating umbrella of the Youth Crime Prevention Council, in order to reduce criminal activity, and more importantly, save lives.”

United Way President and CPO Bob Nelkin said the effort will focus on “prevention, early intervention, street intervention and community mobilization.”

Among members of the steering committee are Onorato, Ravenstahl, chief of police Nate Harper, newly-installed bishop David Zubrik, Pitt associate professor John Wallace Jr., U.S. attorney Mary Beth Buchanan, Urban League executive director Esther Bush and Steeler quarterback Charlie Batch.

City government zeros in on Downtown development

Also on the city agenda is the opening of 151 First Side – the first Downtown condominium since 1968. Ravenstahl and Onorato attended the opening to speak about Pittsburgh’s downtown revival, which is built on the aim to make Downtown more livable.

151 First Side developer Ralph Falbo has already sold 75 percent of the condos.

Falbo wants to continue investing and has plans to build 120 additional condos on Smithfield Street ranging in price from $200,000 to $300,000. Prices at 151 First Side range from $200,000 condos to a $1.8 million penthouse with a view of the Monongahela River.

Along with Falbo, three other developers have submitted proposals for residential projects at the Smithfield Street site, which includes a parking lot.

Falbo’s plan for the site also includes a boutique hotel and leaving the One Smithfield Street building as an office space.

Falbo is also currently working on the development of a 40-condo project near the South Side Works.

Other residential projects that are in the works downtown are luxury condos in the former Lazarus-Macy’s building, the former Union National Bank and the new Three PNC Plaza.