Bad play calls haunt Pitt in shocking loss

By TONY FERRAIOLO

The Pitt and Navy game Wednesday night had it all: a national audience, a pre-game flyover,… The Pitt and Navy game Wednesday night had it all: a national audience, a pre-game flyover, two Hall of Famers, the NFL’s fourth-leading all-time rusher, a 100-yard-long American flag, fireworks and a lot of points.

The only thing missing was 2 yards when the Panthers needed them most.

Coming into the contest, Pitt’s offense and Navy’s defense shared a common bond – neither had been very good this year. Both units ranked 105th in the nation. So what gave? A few bad play calls.

After four quarters and one overtime, the Panthers trailed by three points. On fourth-and-goal from the 2-yard line and the relevance of its season on the line, Pitt took a stand.

Instead of settling for a game-tying field goal that would have sent the game into triple overtime, Pat Bostick dropped back and threw a pass where only 6-5 Darrell Strong could catch it. The only problem was he didn’t, and Pitt fell to Navy 48-45.

“I put it up as high as I could, I tried to give him a chance to come down with it, I guess I just put a little too much on it,” Bostick said.

It wasn’t Bostick’s fault.

The decision was correct; the play choice was not.

Pitt head coach Dave Wannstedt said he was going to try to win the game in that spot no matter what, and I liked his sense of urgency.

With a national television audience, Wannstedt knew this was a big game for the bruised Pitt football program and he went for the win. I just don’t understand why he wouldn’t run the ball on third or fourth down.

Both Conredge Collins and LeSean McCoy were averaging over 5 yards per carry in the game, and Pitt only needed 2 more.

Let Collins, who was already having his best game of the year, plow straight ahead, send McCoy airborne or even kick a field goal. Those were all better options, but Wannstedt decided to throw a low-percentage jump ball to the short side of the field.

That’s the type of play call that gets a coach fired. My vote? Ride your hot hand. McCoy was phenomenal again.

Once more, McCoy showed everyone why he was originally recruited by USC.

Drawing comparisons to Tony Dorsett, Pitt’s honorary captain for the game, McCoy carried the ball 32 times for 165 yards and three touchdowns.

McCoy now only needs three more scores to tie Dorsett’s Pitt record for touchdowns by a freshman. The only thing McCoy didn’t do against Navy was score on the last play of the game, but he never got the chance.

It was apparent the whole game that neither defense had a chance to stop its opponent’s offense – there were only three punts all game – and Wannstedt knew it.

Understanding that Navy’s offense seemed to be playing against a scout defense all night, Wannstedt abandoned his ideals.

With the clock showing 2:57 left in regulation and the score tied 38-38, Wannstedt decided to go for it on fourth-and-one from the Pitt 27, and Pitt picked up the first down. How about that? Pitt took a gamble.

The drama was short-lived.

Wannstedt immediately came back to his NFL senses when, a minute and a half later, fourth-and-two arose again, and he decided to punt the ball away.

“[Going for it again] you’re going to the well too many times, it’s not logical,” Wannstedt said.

What did logic earn Pitt?

As expected, Navy effortlessly marched 55 yards in the final minute and set up for field goal. Fortunately for the Panthers, Navy kicker Joey Bullen barely got the potential game-winning kick to the end zone, and the teams headed for overtime.

Bullen would get redemption in the second overtime.

After being toyed with all game, Pitt’s defense was able to hold the Midshipmen to a field goal try. This time Bullen converted what would stand as the game-winning 29-yard field goal, and Pitt was demoralized again.

Speed Reads

There were some positives for the Panthers, albeit against a soft Navy defense that had surrendered 43 points to a sub-par Duke team two weeks ago. Pitt totaled 375 yards. The offense played well and it started with Bostick.

The freshman quarterback was a solid 20 of 28 for 191 yards with one interception and a touchdown.

Navy came at Bostick with pressure all game, usually rushing five and even six, but he remained calm and was able to get rid of the ball quickly, a sure sign that the young quarterback is maturing.

Bostick’s only mistake came when he threw a jump ball to Oderick Turner, who looked over the wrong shoulder and Navy cornerback Rashwan King snatched his first career interception.

Back on top

On a defense that gave up nearly 500 total yards, Scott McKillop continued his torrid season. With 12 tackles Wednesday night, McKillop regained his spot as the Big East’s top tackler. Against Navy’s perplexing triple option attack, McKillop’s lateral pursuit was outstanding.

McKillop also came up with a tremendous open-field tackle just short of the first-down marker when Navy attempted a fake punt in the second half.

Kicking for keeps

Conor Lee broke the Pitt record for consecutive extra points made after he converted his first two of the game. Lee passed Carson Long, who made 60 straight in the 1974-75 season.