Greer: Let’s talk abut the defense this time

By JEFF GREER

Pitt football has a defensive unit, too.

Couldn’t tell? That’s because the offensive unit… Pitt football has a defensive unit, too.

Couldn’t tell? That’s because the offensive unit is the only thing people have been talking about early in the 2007 season.

Who’s starting at quarterback? Can LeSean McCoy grow up fast enough? Who will replace star receiver Derek Kinder? Is the offensive line too inexperienced?

Pitt’s defense is left wondering: What about us?

The defensive unit shined in Pitt’s 34-10 victory over Grambling State on Saturday at Heinz Field, suffocating Grambling State’s offense for the majority of the game.

“We had a sound defense against both the run and the pass,” Pitt linebacker Scott McKillop said.

The secondary stifled Grambling State’s receivers, intercepting three passes.

After each Grambling State completion – there were only 17 in 40 attempts – several Panthers swarmed the receiver.

“Pitt’s secondary and linebackers did a good job anticipating my throwing lanes,” Grambling State quarterback Brandon Landers said.

Aside from Landers’ picture-perfect 29-yard touchdown pass to Clyde Edwards in the first quarter, Pitt rarely found itself in trouble downfield – or anywhere, for that matter.

Trouble generally came off Pitt’s offensive turnovers.

And even then, the defense did its best, holding Grambling State to one field goal and two turnovers on downs.

For the game, Grambling State was just 1 for 4 in red-zone scoring chances.

“When we stopped them [in those situations], that says a lot about our defense,” Pitt head coach Dave Wannstedt said.

Grambling State struggled on third downs, converting just 6 of 17.

Last season, poor tackling and conditioning killed Pitt late in games, resulting in a five-game losing streak. After hiring conditioning coach Buddy Morris in the off-season, Pitt’s defense improved.

“We worked a lot as a tackling defense in the off-season,” Pitt linebacker Murray said, crediting Morris for the change in attitude. “[This week] we had an extra tackling drill on Thursday after a bad practice on Wednesday.”

Murray especially played well, highlighting his impressive day with a well-finished tackle of Edwards on Grambling State’s first play of the game.

“[Defensive coordinator Paul Rhoads] really emphasizes being smart, physical tacklers,” Murray said.

Ball carriers rarely escape the first Panther. After the initial hit, multiple defenders gang up on the ball like bees swarming melted chocolate.

“Just take the extra yards people get after missed tackles, hidden yards, and they add up,” Murray said. “We want to make sure tackles, not just regular tackles that give up extra yards.”

The defensive line and linebackers matched the secondary in both intensity and effectiveness. Grambling State running backs Cornelius Walker and Frank Warren saw little daylight.

Grambling State gained 84 rushing yards on 31 carries.

“Coach Rhoads really stressed being able to progress and hit,” Murray said. “He wants us to go to the ball, not wait for the guy to come to you. When that happens, the guy will get extra yards.”

The defensive line pushed and powered its way through Grambling State’s overwhelmed offensive line. Pitt forced six runs for a loss and sacked Landers twice, hurrying him on several other plays.

“[The Pitt defense] did an excellent job of getting in my face,” Landers said. “They forced me to make decisions quicker than I wanted to.”

McKillop credits the tough group of defensive linemen, who rotate regularly, for their ability to wreak havoc on opposing defensive lines.

“They’re definitely making my life easier,” McKillop said.

So while questions swirl around Smith’s ability to manage an offense and the spotlight burns a hole through McCoy’s helmet, the defense continues to get it done.