Bostick replaces Smith in second half of loss

By TONY FERRAIOLO

Click here to view slideshow

… Click here to view slideshow

The Panthers came into Saturday’s game against the Connecticut Huskies looking to avenge a loss that kept them from going to a bowl game last year.

Instead they started Big East Conference play with a humbling 34-14 defeat.

A crowd of 40,145 took out most of its aggression on quarterback Kevan Smith as the Panthers’ offense struggled early to get going in the right direction. Those who remained after halftime saw a switch made.

Pat Bostick lined up under center to start the second half, replacing Smith, who watched the rest of the game without shoulder pads on.

Smith hyper-extended his right elbow, but a switch was also appropriate because of the quarterback’s poor play. He was 3 of 9 for 29 yards and one interception while he was in the game. The pick came on Pitt’s opening possession and set up Connecticut’s first score.

When Bostick entered the game, he gave Pitt fans some encouragement. Bostick started 3 of 3, one of his completions going to offensive linemen Joe Thomas on an ineligible-man-downfield penalty that was declined.

After throwing two interceptions – one that was returned for a touchdown – Bostick would find Oderick Turner for a 21-yard touchdown pass – the first of his Pitt career that was thrown to a player on his own team.

Although he threw three interceptions in all, only one was an errant delivery. Bostick finished the night 27 of 41 for 230 yards. He showed the ability to make tough throws and, more importantly, the aptitude to scan the field and check off of his primary target – something Smith had trouble doing.

With Bostick at the helm, Pitt showed potential to move the ball but not enough to conceal what was an embarrassing performance.

The Panthers compounded numerous mistakes by committing eight penalties in the game. Among their discomforting gaffes, the Panthers were called for a delay-of-game on a kickoff prior to an onside kick attempt in the fourth quarter.

Play calling became extremely burdensome for offensive coordinator Matt Cavanaugh. With the Panthers trailing early, Cavanaugh’s options were limited, including his ability to run Pitt’s “Wildcat” package – a set Pitt used frequently last weekend against Michigan State to hide Smith’s deficiencies. The formation features a running back lined up in the shotgun and the quarterback split out wide.

The Wildcat is a grinding offense that is used to control the clock and move the chains, but Pitt did show a few new wrinkles out of the set. It ran a reverse, and for the first time, running back LeSean McCoy took the direct snap and threw the ball. He completed the pass to tight end Nate Byham, but his wobbling throw was relatively meaningless on a first down.

The coaching staff’s lack of faith in Smith was apparent. With UConn showing a lot of man coverage, daring Pitt to throw, the majority of the pass plays Cavanaugh called were either screens or swing passes.

On more than one occasion, the Panthers ran the ball on third down instead of trying to throw for a first down. Rarely did they attempt to stretch the field, and they made mistakes when they did.

Trailing by 17 with 25 seconds to go in the first half, the coaching staff finally decided to turn Smith loose. The payoff? A fumble that led to a Connecticut field goal as time ran out in the half.

One constant for the Panthers’ erratic offense is McCoy. Although Larod Stephens-Howling was the game’s starter, McCoy took the bulk of the carries. But because Pitt trailed the whole game, McCoy was limited to only 11 carries; He still led all rushers with 70 yards, though, adding Pitt’s only touchdown in the first half.

But another consistent unit – the Pitt defense, which had been notably strong in their first three games, was exposed by a Connecticut offense that only scored 22 points last week against Temple.

The Huskies deliberately moved the ball, and whenever the Panthers came with pressure, UConn quarterback Tyler Lorenzen was able to make quick decisions and either unload the football or slide out of the pocket and scramble.

A clearly disturbed Dave Wannstedt accepted the culpability after the game.

“Speaking from my heart, I take responsibility for the disappointing day,” Wannstedt said. “We had a lot of people come out and watch us, it was disappointing we could not muster up a more effective attack.”

Click here to view slideshow