Abroad programs under fire

By ELI DILE

Many study abroad companies have been under fire recently for providing perks to universities… Many study abroad companies have been under fire recently for providing perks to universities that use their programs.

Critics say this practice may lead universities to use only these programs which limit competition, thereby restricting where students may study and finally, driving up prices.

On Aug. 15, the New York Attorney General began issuing subpoenas to many study abroad companies, two of which – the Institute for the International Education of Students and the American Institute for Foreign Study – are affiliated with Pitt.

The perks these companies provide often include cash bonuses – the amount dependent on the number of students who use their program – free and subsidized travel for officials, unpaid seats on advisory boards and marketing stipends.

The subpoenas ask for documents, including agreements between providers and colleges and lists of university officials who sit on advisory boards.

NAFSA: Association of International Educators announced on Aug. 15 that it would form a task force to examine how universities manage relationships with third party study abroad providers. They also planned to investigate how the universities finance study abroad, the portability of their financial aid and their enrollment and credit transfer policies.

Dr. Annagene Yucas, Pitt’s director of study abroad, said in an e-mail that the University would review the findings and recommendations from the task force.

“We make every effort to offer Pitt-developed programs as close to the cost of Pitt tuition, room and board as possible,” she said.

An Aug. 13 New York Times article criticized many aspects of the study abroad business including these perks. It said that this money generally goes directly to the University, not always to the students who use the programs.

The story also stated that there are no regulations for study abroad incentives except for a voluntary code of ethics from an industry trade group that limits members to “gifts that are of nominal value and that do not seem intended to influence professional decisions.”

Some university officials defend these perks, saying, for instance, that the free trips are used to evaluate the programs they provide to students.

Pitt students’ study abroad options include programs developed by the University, exchange programs, third party providers – some of which are directly affiliated with the University – programs from other universities and direct enrollment in a foreign university.

Any student who meets the requirements established by the University may enroll in the Pitt developed or affiliated study abroad programs and exchange programs.

If a student wishes to use a non-affiliated third party program or use another university’s program they must get permission from the Study Abroad Office for their credits to be accepted.

Sometimes direct enrollment in a foreign university can be cheaper than using programs approved by a university.

The New York Times article stated that many universities – especially public ones – encourage students who want to study abroad to deal directly with foreign universities to lower costs, even if they have arrangements with independent companies.

At Pitt, students may enroll in a foreign university for a semester, but there is no guarantee his credits will transfer, Yucas said. Upon his return, the student can petition the Dean’s office to have his credits earned abroad counted as transfer credits.

According to Yucas, direct enrollment is considered the same as if a student chose to leave Pitt and enrolled in a different university in the United States. Credits earned abroad are reviewed similarly to the way a new transfer student’s credits would be reviewed.

She also said that the disadvantages to direct enrollment include the fact that students typically have to do their own legwork, which means arranging their own housing and dining situations. Students are also left without an on-site staff devoted to American students.

While a student is enrolled directly in a foreign university, he or she is not enrolled at Pitt, said Yucas.

But as long as the student registered for classes the previous three semesters, he or she may register for classes for the term after returning to Pitt.