Keeping a tab on your NFC fantasy players

By TONY FERRAIOLO

Here’s a look at how things played out in the NFC after the first week.

How ’bout them… Here’s a look at how things played out in the NFC after the first week.

How ’bout them Cowboys? They looked awfully impressive on offense Sunday night.

It’s only one game against a depleted New York Giants defense that lost Osi Umenyiora early in the game, but Tony Romo looks like he’s taken the risk out of the risk-reward scenario that accompanied taking him in the early rounds of your draft.

That means you should pick up Patrick Crayton right away. Terry Glenn’s knee injury is lingering, and no definitive timeline has been set. Crayton is the No. 2 receiver right now and could be a super sleeper.

The Giants also had some significant fantasy shake-ups due to injuries. Against Dallas, Eli Manning provided a little excitement for his owners and, for the first time since early last season, looked like he could contribute solid statistics. Unfortunately, he exited early with an injured right shoulder. It was originally thought to be more serious than was later determined. Manning may only miss one start and if somebody in your league was stupid enough to waive him on impulse, snatch him before he gets arrested for assaulting Tiki Barber.

Brandon Jacobs was also hurt, and his injury is considered a bit more serious. Jacobs sprained the medial collateral ligament in his right knee. He’ll be out a minimum of three to five weeks.

It was thought throughout the preseason that Reuben Droughns may split carries with Jacobs, but Derrick Ward looked sharp after Jacobs went down and will shoulder the load while Jacobs is out.

The greatest show on turf, the St. Louis Rams, was the biggest disappointment for fantasy owners in Week 1.

Late in the first half of its game against Carolina, St. Louis lost Pro Bowl tackle Orlando Pace, and head coach Scott Linehan became apprehensive in fear of getting Marc Bulger hurt. As a result, Bulger threw for just 167 yards and only one touchdown.

Stephen Jackson also had a nightmarish game with only 57 rushing yards and two crucial fumbles. Jackson will be fine, but unless St. Louis opens up the playbook, Bulger’s fantasy role could be reduced to a backup in 10-team and shallow leagues.

In Minnesota Chester Taylor left the Vikings game against Atlanta with a bruised hip. That couldn’t make Viking fans any happier.

Adrian Peterson was far from a sleeper entering the season and, with Taylor out, he’s immediately escalated to stud status. Taylor shouldn’t be out long, but this could be an instance where a starter does lose his job due to an injury. Peterson looked electric.

In Washington the verdict is still out all around. Clinton Portis was banged up last season, and his carries in this year’s campaign were in jeopardy as a result of Ladell Betts’ production in his absence last season. When healthy, Portis is a solid No.1 back, but after a 2006 season that included two shoulder injuries and a broken hand, he’s banged up again-this time with tendonitis in his knee. Portis and Betts each had 17 carries against Miami, but Portis had a touchdown.

The receivers for the Redskins are interchangeable, both in talent and stature.

Track record would indicate Santana Moss is the receiver to have for Washington, but there’s just something about a guy with a three-word name.

Antwaan Randle El had a huge game Sunday. He caught five balls for 162 yards, highlighted by a rebound grab off a Hail Mary. I still favor Moss, but Randle El will likely have his best statistical season as a pro.

The Cardinals’ offense looked anemic Monday night, but Edgerrin James didn’t. Coming off the worst yards-per-carry average in the NFL last year, the Cardinals barely eclipsed 200 total yards, but the run game didn’t look bad, thanks solely to James.

It looked like Matt Leinart forgot Larry Fitzgerald was on his team. Fitzgerald only caught three balls for 20 yards-yuck . Anquan Boldin only had four receptions.

Try to tell Drew Brees and the Saints that the Colts’ defense is their weakness. Brees threw 41 times but was only able to tally 187 yards.

As for Reggie Bush, he only piled up 45 total yards. Bush started slow last year, too, before eventually coming on, mostly in the passing game. However, keep in mind he only had one game last season where he rushed for over 100 yards. If your league doesn’t award points for receptions, be weary of his low rush totals.