Get your kayak on for free in Oct.

By HOLDEN SLATTERY

The Allegheny River, once used to transport steel and coal, is now the domain of kayakers… The Allegheny River, once used to transport steel and coal, is now the domain of kayakers who paddle underneath its bridges in the shadow of the Pittsburgh skyline.

This October, Kayak Pittsburgh, a program run by non-profit recreational company Venture Outdoors, is offering college students the opportunity to kayak for free with a valid student ID.

For the remainder of September, Kayak Pittsburgh, located Downtown, will be open every day from 4 p.m. until dusk. In October, free kayaking will be offered on weekends, from 10 a.m. until dusk. Students who participate before Sept. 30 also receive a free T-shirt as part of Venture Outdoors’ University Week, even if they never step foot in a kayak.

Free kayaking is also available at Kayak Pittsburgh’s other location on the North Park Lake, approximately 14 miles from Pittsburgh.

The goal of University Week is to raise awareness in the student population about recreational opportunities in Pittsburgh, program director for Venture Outdoors Jon Lucadamo said.

“The idea is to show college students that Pittsburgh really is a great place to live, work and play,” he explained.

“Students get so caught up in campus life and school work, and they never get out to see anything,” Lucadamo said. “Then they graduate, and they’re like, ‘Pittsburgh’s lame. I’m leaving.'”

This past Tuesday, kayaking was free for everyone, not just college students, as a part of the 250 Pittsburgh Kickoff, an event celebrating Pittsburgh’s 250th anniversary.

A woman and a man asked Lucadamo about the differences between riding in a single or a double kayak. “If you’re in a double you’re not gonna tip over,” Lucadamo told them. “When you’re in a single the chances increase slightly.”

Cindy Blasko, 50, an experienced kayaker from North Huntington, shared a kayak with her mother, who kayaked for the first time with no problem.

She said when she was younger the rivers were more polluted because of litter, sewers overflowing into the rivers and illegal dumping by factories and mills.

“The water is clean. Brown but clean,” she said, referring to the water’s current condition.

Sean Brady, assistant executive director for Venture Outdoors, said he has lived in Pittsburgh for 40 years and the biodiversity on the river has expanded dramatically during that time. As a child he caught species of fish such as sauger and white bass, which were previously absent. He said mayflies, an indicator of high water quality, are present on the Allegheny as well.

Lauren Delorenze, a 2007 Duquesne graduate working part time at Kayak Pittsburgh, said University Week has elicited a positive response from college students.

“I hope people will continue to spread the word and get outside to experience Pittsburgh while it’s still nice out instead of just sitting in their dorm rooms,” Delorenze said.

To get to Kayak Pittsburgh, head Downtown and across the Roberto Clemente bridge to the North Shore. Take two quick lefts down a set of stairs. You’ll see yellow kayaks by the water’s edge and employees standing by a table with waiver forms and a rack of bright orange life jackets.