Professional conference coming to Burgh

By LAUREN MYLO

Just $45 can get Pitt students into a Pirates game, a Clarks concert, three days of job… Just $45 can get Pitt students into a Pirates game, a Clarks concert, three days of job advice, networking opportunities and a host of prominent speakers.

Last passing through Pittsburgh in 2001, the Pennsylvania’s Young Professionals Annual Conference – ImPAct 2007 – will take place next weekend in various locations around Pittsburgh.

The goals of ImPAct, according to Casey Mahaven, one of the event planners, are enabling networking opportunities, providing education on job opportunities and situations around the state and socializing.

“It’s a great opportunity to meet people and meet groups from around the state, and it’s a great opportunity to network,” Mahaven said. “Especially if you’re a recent grad.”

“We have a panel on retaining young professionals in Pennsylvania that will focus on why this region is marketable and why it makes sense for a young professional to stay here as opposed to moving to New York or D.C. or Chicago,” she said.

Mahaven also said that one of the main perks of the weekend will be the extracurricular activities. Social events include happy hour at McFadden’s Restaurant and Saloon, a tour of Heinz Field and a Pirates game and Clarks concert on Saturday night.

Friday’s opening activities will be held in the Strip District and Sunday’s activities – which include discussions on entrepreneurship, leadership skills and fund raising – will take place in City Theatre on the South Side.

“We’re touring the city,” Mahaven said. “It’s not a typical conference held at a hotel where you’re sort of stuck inside the hotel all weekend long.”

Also included in the $100 registration fee – $85 before Sept. 1 and $45 for current college students – is the opportunity to see a number of speakers, including Pitt’s Sherry Miller Brown, the director of the McCarl Center in the College of General Studies and Ann Dugan, the assistant dean of the Institute for Entrepreneurial Excellence.

“I think the potential for employment is going to be with an entrepreneurial or closely held firm,” Dugan said.

She also noted that she’s speaking at the conference because “the dynamics of entrepreneurship