Rough trip south for women’s soccer

By TONY FERRAIOLO

It was a disappointing road trip for the Pitt women’s soccer team, dropping games at both… It was a disappointing road trip for the Pitt women’s soccer team, dropping games at both Georgia State and Auburn over the weekend.

The Panthers had to battle two solid programs, as well as immense heat, and were unable to escape with a victory, losing to Georgia State, 4-1, and to Auburn, 3-0, evening their record at 2-2-0 on the year.

Though they did not add to the win column, head coach Sue-Moy Chin believes the young Panthers likely traveled back to Pittsburgh a better team.

“There were lots of positives for us,” Chin said. “We fought hard versus two good teams. It was a learning weekend for a young team. It’s disappointing, but I think we’ll be better down the road.”

Pitt will be back in action Friday, hosting the Xavier Musketeers at Founders Field at 7 p.m.

Georgia State 4, Pitt 1

The Panthers dropped the first game of their southern swing, 4-1, but the score wasn’t indicative of how the Panthers played.

Pitt hung in the game early, and the contest was scoreless for most of the first half.

“They were on us in the first 10 minutes, and we had to regroup,” Georgia State coach Domenic Martelli told GeorgiaStateAthletics.com. “But we pulled it together and played great in every aspect of the game after that.”

The scoreless tie was broken in the 44th minute when Georgia State junior Kay Harbrueger collected a long pass and beat Pitt goalie Alison Finch through the legs just before the half was set to expire.

Pitt responded abruptly. In the 47th minute, sophomore Jenna Greenfield delivered a pass to the foot of Senior Janean Gardner, who blasted a bending 25-yard shot into the upper right corner of the goal to tie things up 1-1.

Georgia State would counter with three goals in 11 minutes, and the heat would take its toll on the Panthers.

“Georgia State’s kickball style made it a running match in the second half,” Chin said. “We got worn down from the heat.”

Georgia State out-shot Pitt 12-10.

Harbrueger was the offensive wizard for Georgia State, involved in every score for her team. The junior had two goals and an assist.

For Pitt, Ashley Habbel had three shots, while Alison Finch recorded five saves.

Auburn 3, Pitt 0

For their second game of the weekend, the Panthers traveled to Alabama Sunday to square off with the Auburn Tigers.

Again the Panthers were not only fighting a worthy adversary but the southern heat as well.

“Auburn’s game plan was to wear us down by subbing frequently,” Chin said.

The first goal of the game came in the 25th minute. Auburn sophomore Caitlin King made a run up the sideline, cut back to the middle and found freshman Ashley Marks who proceeded into the six box and beat Finch.

King and Marks would hook up again in the 56th minute, as Marks tabulated her second goal of the game.

Monica Afanador would cap the scoring. After she was fouled near the goal line, Afanador’s ensuing penalty shot found the net.

Pitt had its chances – the Panthers had 12 shots, seven of which were on goal. “I thought we played better Sunday, but it’s hard to win when you don’t finish your opportunities,” Chin said.