Pitt readies for the big one

By LAUREN MYLO

Pitt has won two games with few concerns other than its growing number of injuries. This… Pitt has won two games with few concerns other than its growing number of injuries. This weekend fans will see whether or not this undefeated team has what it takes to beat a Big Ten school.

The Panthers (2-0) are coming off a 34-10 win against Grambling State and face Michigan State (2-0) on Saturday.

Michigan State beat Bowling Green last weekend, 28-17. The Spartans rushed 142 yards, passed for 250, had 392 total offensive yards and scored one touchdown per quarter.

Pitt only allowed 123 yards in its first two games, but at this point last season, Pitt had only given up 87 when it faced Michigan State. Pitt lost, 38-23.

Michigan State rushed for 335 yards and had 533 yards in total offense in that game, but this year, Pitt head coach Dave Wannstedt seems to think his team is ready.

“I thought that last year we got worn down as the game went on,” Wannstedt said. “It was a combination of three things: No. 1, the size and strength, No. 2, our conditioning and No. 3, our experience. I think this year we’re better in all three of those phases. We’re in great shape.”

But Wannstedt is still aware of the Michigan State offense, which is loaded with talent.

“These guys [Michigan State] are a physical team,” Wannstedt said. “They run the ball, and their quarterback is really talented. They’ve got a tight end that will be a high draft pick, and they’ve got a big receiver who makes a lot of plays, so we’re facing a talented football team on both sides of the ball.”

Pitt has five players who have suffered injuries since the start of the season.

Quarterback Bill Stull’s and wide receiver Derek Kinder’s injuries hit the Panthers hard, and defensive lineman Gus Mustakas’ torn ACL added to the devastation. Mustakas was second on the team in tackles through the first two games.

“We’ve had some unusual things [happen to us],” Wannstedt said. “But if we keep recruiting well and keep getting depth and talent, when one guy goes down, the next guy can step in and take over.”

Two players who will step up and take over are sophomore Tommie Duhart and redshirt sophomore Mick Williams. Both will have to step into Mustakas’ shoes against Michigan State’s offense this week and be ready to make some tackles.

“They’ve both played in two games, so it’s not like it’s the first time that they’ll be playing,” Wannstedt said. “They are both very talented.”

Kevan Smith will start as quarterback with Pat Bostick ready on the sidelines. Smith threw for 202 yards and one touchdown last week.

“I thought that Kevan Smith handled the game well last week,” Wannstedt said. “He’ll be fine. We’ll continue to practice Pat Bostick. He’ll take half the reps in practice, and we’ll continue to get him ready just in case we would need him.”

The Panthers will need Bostick unless Smith comes out error-free, unlike last week. Against Grambling State, Smith went 15 for 22, had one fumble, was sacked once and was picked off once.

“[Smith] had one turnover where he was falling down and he put the ball on the ground,” Wannstedt said. “That will cost us the game this week if the same thing happens against Michigan State.”

LaRod Stephens-Howling will start again, with LeSean McCoy not far away.

“LaRod’s the starter,” Wannstedt said. “With LeSean, it will come down to where LaRod is health-wise and who gives our team the best chance to win. If LaRod’s banged up a little bit then it’s an easy decision. LaRod hasn’t done anything to not deserve to start. I look at it the other way – I’m excited by what LeSean has done to this point. Now we’ve got two guys that can make plays.”

McCoy ran for three touchdowns last weekend after Stephens-Howling’s bruised rib put him on the sidelines. He also ran for 107 yards on 19 carries.

Michigan State lost its starting quarterback Drew Stanton and head coach John L. Smith, who was replaced by former Cincinnati coach Mike Dantonio. The last time the Panthers traveled to East Lansing was in 1958. Pitt has a 0-5-1 record against the Spartans.

“This will be our first big, big challenge,” Wannstedt said. “We’re a little stronger and, because we have so many guys coming back, we should have some more experience and be a little bit smarter.”