Lee, Robinson return to lead Pitt special teams

By LAUREN MYLO

Competition is fierce between players vying for special teams spots before the season… Competition is fierce between players vying for special teams spots before the season starts. To special teams coach Charlie Partridge, the competition is welcome.

“The thing that’s exciting to me is that we have both kickoff returners back,” Partridge said. “We’re hoping for big things out of the kickoff return.”

Lowell Robinson will start as Pitt’s main kickoff-return man. The senior ranked ninth nationally in kickoff returns last season, averaging 27.9 yards per return. Robinson, also a backup cornerback, had an electrifying touchdown return on the opening kickoff of Pitt’s 52-7 win against Central Florida last season.

Aaron Berry, a sophomore, will be the main punt returner. Berry’s quickness and shiftiness should force some missed tackles in the open field.

Junior Conor Lee is the resident place kicker, and his job is safe heading into the season.

Lee led the team with 83 points. He made 85.7 percent of his field goals and each of his 47 extra-point attempts.

“Conor Lee did a great job for us last year,” Partridge said. “We’re thrilled to have him back.”

Despite a shaky series of spring practices, Dave Brytus is at the top of the depth chart at punter. He will need to fill a major void left by accomplished former starter Adam Graessle.

Brytus, who is 6-4, 230 pounds, transferred from Purdue last year but could not play because of NCAA guidelines regarding transferring.

Brytus was a two-year starting punter at Purdue, and that experience should help him fill Graessle’s shoes.

But Brytus isn’t just a punter – he’s also a black belt in karate.

Brytus started karate when he was 8 years old. The discipline and skills he learned there help him a lot with football.

“To be a great punter, you have to have great flexibility,” Brytus said. “In martial arts there’s a lot of that.”

He also said the year off really helped him to get his fundamentals situated with punting, and he’s grateful for that.

“It’s really exciting to be able to play, though,” Brytus said.

Mark Estermyer, a two-year starter at long snapper, will return at that position. For the past three years, senior Mike McGlynn handled snaps for field goals.