Break the “dinner and a movie” mold

By JESSICA BOPP

Dating can tough, especially when you’re in an unfamiliar city. For us Pitt students,… Dating can tough, especially when you’re in an unfamiliar city. For us Pitt students, though, it’s not as hard as it seems: Pitt’s campus is central to a variety of date locations, and the city of Pittsburgh offers plenty of places and activities for the perfect outing. Here are a slew of options for daters in relationships of all stages.

The getting-to-know-each-other date:

Take a walk to the Carnegie Museum (free admission with your Pitt ID) and enjoy sharing likes and dislikes of art, etc. For dinner, keep it local and eat in Oakland. Some suggestions: Primanti Brothers for a mouth-watering sandwich, Fuel and Fuddle for those famous sweet potato fries and The “O” for some tasty, greasy goodness.

The I-screwed-up date

His fault: Stay in and watch her favorite chick flick together. Or take her out to the Manor Theater in Squirrel Hill or Loews Cineplex at The Waterfront, and let her pick the movie.

Her fault: Suggest that the two of you stay in and watch the flick of his choice. Or if he’s the gaming type, play video games with him all night. (Remember, no complaints no matter how much you hate it).

The six-months date

Light-on-the-pockets option: Go to Phipps Conservatory, just a short walk from Pitt’s campus and free with your Pitt ID. The gardens and flowers will provide a romantic, relaxed atmosphere for your date.

Big spender option: Go to Mount Washington to take in the nice view of the city while enjoying each other’s company. Then take the incline down to Station Square and have a fabulous fondue dinner at The Melting Pot.

The one-year-anniversary date

Not-quite-Donald-Trump option: Take a ride on the Gateway Clipper Cruise. There are many different types of cruises to choose from depending on what you want to spend (e.g. Captain’s Dinner Cruise, Ice Cream Social Cruise, Sightseeing Cruise.) The adult ticket price hovers in the $10-$12 range. Depending on which one you choose, go to dinner and a movie at The Waterfront or The South Side Works, letting her choose both.

Money-in-the-bank option: Go see a play Downtown, followed by dinner at LeMont on Mount Washington and enjoy the view while you dine. (If you went to Mount Washington on your six-month anniversary, this could become a romantic tradition.) Be sure to go all out (drinks, appetizers and desserts.) And don’t forget to bring her flowers!

21+ date

Spend the evening at Dave and Busters, a sports bar and game room at The Waterfront. You can enjoy dinner and drinks like an adult and play arcade games like a kid.

Dating for the seasons

Fall: Go bowling at Forward Lanes in Squirrel Hill. For an added touch of fun, make a bet: The loser pays for the next date.

Winter: Bundle up and go ice skating at Schenley Ice Rink or The Rink at PPG Place Downtown. Warm up with coffee or hot chocolate once your extremities go numb.

Spring: Go to the Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium, which have recently been renovated to include an extensive polar bear exhibit.

Summer (if you stay in Pittsburgh): Check out the most popular summer date location in Pittsburgh: Kennywood. This amusement park has roller coasters, water rides and great food (Potato Patch fries are a must-have.) This date will be one to remember. In addition, a trip to Sandcastle water park in Homestead near The Waterfront also makes for a great outing. (Note: Discount tickets for both Kennywood and Sandcastle are available at the William Pitt Union box office.) And for a cheaper date, there’s always the free Cinema in the Park movies playing at Flagstaff Hill in Schenley Park.

All you need now is someone to go with, but you don’t need a date to check out these local hot spots. If you’re up for exploring the ‘Burgh, grab your friends and get going.