Pitt implements text message alert system

By LAUREN MYLO

A new system at Pitt might cause professors to be a bit more lenient with students whose… A new system at Pitt might cause professors to be a bit more lenient with students whose cell phones go off in class.

This month, Pitt implemented a new system for alerting students and staff via text message during emergency situations. With this system, Pitt can instantly notify all students who opt for this plan, should an emergency occur.

On every student’s Pitt portal home page, my.pitt.edu, students can click on the “emergency notifications” tab and register up to three phone numbers to receive text message or voicemail notification. Participation in the system is optional, and students can only receive the alerts if they register online.

The emergency alert service is different from Mobile Campus, a program advocated by Student Government Board President Shady Henien in his campaign. Also an optional service, Mobile Campus was designed to send information and updates to students about different clubs and organizations on campus.

The new system will only be used for emergencies, said Jinx Walton, director of computing services and systems development at Pitt.

“We’re hoping to get close to 100 percent of students signed up for this,” she said. “That’s going to be our effort.

“Text messaging is just another opportunity to reach people in different locations. People are in classes and could be any place at any time, and this system is in place so that when people are at different locations we can reach them.”

An e-mail notification system is already in place at the university, but that method may be less instantaneous. Students can also select to receive voicemail updates when they sign up, and Walton said that mobile devices are the preferred method.

“Text messaging is really just a way to layer another notification service,” Walton said.

Sophomore Bill Halstrick wants to know what happens to students without text messaging on their cell phones.

Halstrick’s friend, Sam May, has heard rumors of the system and plans to sign up.

“I thought it was a good idea,” he said. “I’m not very technologically minded, though. But if it just sends it to me, I think it’ll be fine.”

May also noted one small item of concern with the system.

“I’m afraid I wouldn’t get [the alert messages] if my phone was on silent,” he said.

May added that he doesn’t necessarily feel this is something Pitt should have implemented before the Virginia Tech tragedy. Neither does Bailey Roche, a senior engineering major. However, Roche said he does feel it’s important to have this system in place now.

“Maybe if they’d known [at Virginia Tech], they’d have been able to barricade the doors or something,” he said. “There are situations where a text message would help.

Students with questions about the alert program can talk with staff from CSSD at tables around campus this week. Walton says the University will be very busy promoting the new system and encouraging students to sign up. She also said that it’s important for students to keep their information updated, should a phone number change.

Walton said the system is not mandatory because notifications are sent to students’ personal devices, as opposed to something like a University e-mail address. She also said the decision of whether or not to send a mass message out to students would come from the Pitt police.

Penn State and Duquesne universities have already implemented similar optional, free text-messaging systems. PSUTXT was implemented by Penn State in August for emergency situations. Before that, it was used only for weather-related situations and cancellations.

This is not the first step Pitt has taken to offer security to its students. Since the Virginia Tech tragedy, Pitt police have moved into a new state-of-the-art communications room and have the ability to lock down 90 percent of the buildings on campus at a moment’s notice.

The Pitt police force also has access to students’ class schedules and dorm information, and the officers can tell who is supposed to be where at any time.

The new notification system is free, although rates from students’ cell phone providers will apply. The service is provided by Verizon and is available at all of Pitt’s campuses.