Scorin’ Dorin moves to backer – and likes it!

By TONY FERRAIOLO

How it handles the loss of three starters to the NFL, two of which were linebackers, could… How it handles the loss of three starters to the NFL, two of which were linebackers, could directly coincide with the Pitt defense’s overall success.

On a team that lost its starting quarterback, the toughest positions to fill conceivably could be at linebacker. All three starting spots will feature fresh faces. The newcomers will have their work cut out for them, stepping in for the best linebacking corps in the Big East last year.

Between the two, H.B. Blades and Clint Session combined last year for 248 total tackles at the middle and strong-side positions, respectively. They accounted for more than a quarter of the team’s total.

Blades, an All-American, was also the Big East Defensive Player of the Year, and ranked third in the country with 7.17 tackles per game. Session, 17 in the nation in tackles, led the country in forced fumbles per game with .42.

Both are currently with NFL teams – Blades with Washington, and Session with Super Bowl champion Indianapolis.

“Players are going to leave and they’re going to graduate. Some might leave early, and that’s all of part of what we deal with today, and I think that the teams that are able to replace players and fill the voids are the teams that continue to make progress year after year,” Wannstedt said.

No matter who breaks camp as the starters, it appears the battle for playing time could go all year. Wannstedt is enthusiastic about the depth a tight positional battle will create.

“Whoever our three starting linebackers are, I promise you this, our number-four, -five and -six guys are going to be very close to those starters, and that’s encouraging.”

Middle linebacker (Mike): Wannstedt and defensive coordinator/newly appointed linebackers coach Paul Rhoads will look for Scott McKillop to step in and quarterback the defense this year. The 6-2, 240-pound junior had an impressive spring, showcasing the knowledge and leadership required to play in the middle. Playing behind Blades his first two years didn’t produce much playing time at linebacker for McKillop, but he did earn letters both years serving as Blades’ primary backup.

Strong-side linebacker (Sam): The battle to take over for Clint Session is between junior Adam Gunn and redshirt freshmen Nate Nix, with Gunn on the inside track to win the job. Neither has significant experience, but Gunn was a special teams standout last year and has a steady, hard-working mentality.

Weak-side linebacker (Will): Of the three linebacker spots, the most interesting personnel decision will occur at the Will. None of the three candidates are original linebackers. Senior Jemeel Brady is a converted safety but has yet to work in because of off-season shoulder surgery. Shane Murray is another candidate in the mix. He has switched positions twice now. Murray originally came to Pitt as a quarterback and, after being moved to safety, has transitioned well to outside linebacker. An impressive spring has Murray pegged as the early favorite to win the job.

Dorin Dickerson is Rhoads’ other option on the weak side. He, too, is learning a new position this year. Dickerson came to Pitt as a highly prized offensive weapon with the ability to line up anywhere on the field. Now he’s an outside linebacker and, at 6-2, 220 pounds, possesses the ideal speed and size to be a good one.

Learning a new position won’t be easy, but Dickerson is up for the challenge.

“Mentally you have to be prepared to be physically worn down every day, that’s the hardest thing. As for the other things, I feel pretty comfortable and smooth,” Dickerson said.

Dickerson isn’t worried about how the competition to start will pan out.

“I feel we came close as a linebacking corps,” he said. “I mean we have Shane [Murray], Scott [McKillop], Nate [Nix], Adam [Gunn]