Eagles cleared for landing

By TONY FERRAIOLO

When the Pitt football team kicks off its season at Heinz Field Saturday against Eastern… When the Pitt football team kicks off its season at Heinz Field Saturday against Eastern Michigan, it’ll do so in search of an identity.

There’s only one problem: The Panthers may have to wait until they travel into East Lansing, Mich., the third week of the season to face Michigan State, before they receive vindication.

After Eastern Michigan comes to town this weekend, Pitt will then take the home turf against Grambling and its marching band next Saturday. The Panthers’ first two opponents were a less-than-impressive 4-20 combined last season. Not exactly a riveting competition, but that’s OK.

Pitt is relatively young and inexperienced, and a tune-up like this could help build confidence.

The schedule could be especially beneficial to starting quarterback Bill Stull, who may not be young but is certainly unproven. However, Stull has earned the confidence of the coaching staff and the respect of his teammates, and after breaking camp, you really can’t ask for anything more.

While Stull’s teammates admire their leader’s knowledge and work ethic, the quarterback simultaneously applauds his team’s character.

“I think the thing about this team is we work hard and play together as a team, and that will help us,” Stull said.

That’s exactly the mentality Pitt will need to implement to counteract the Eagles’ read-option offense on Saturday. It’s the same scheme that gave the Panthers fits to the tune of 641 total yards last year against West Virginia.

Obviously Eastern Michigan doesn’t have the potential Heisman talent possessed by the Mountaineers, but when facing the option, it only takes one missed assignment by an individual for the opponent to turn a short run into six points.

How Pitt’s revamped linebacker corps handles its responsibilities could determine the direction of the game. Scott McKillop, who had an impressive training camp, anchors the defense. The other linebacker positions are not so palpable.

This weekend’s starting outside linebackers will be Shane Murray and Adam Gunn, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that’s how things will remain. Pitt head coach Dave Wannstedt is still unsure of the position’s future.

“I see the outside linebacker as a position where we play a couple guys and see how it unfolds,” Wannstedt said. “But they are all ready to play and they will get equal practice reps.”

The other linebackers in the equation are Dorin Dickerson and Nate Nix.

On offense, the Panthers will look to ease Stull into the game by pounding the ball with their bevy of running backs.

LaRod Stephens-Howling will be the starter, but Wannstedt and offensive coordinator Matt Cavanaugh will find ways to get freshman LeSean McCoy and his big-play potential on the field. Shane Brooks and Conredge Collins also have some game experience and could be a factor.

“I like our running backs,” Wannstedt said. “That situation is the best that it has been since I have been here because of experience. We have a few guys here who were sophomores last year, now they are juniors and all have a year under their belt. I believe it will pay dividends for us.”

Eastern Michigan plays out of the Mid-American Conference and currently is led by sophomore quarterback Andy Schmitt. Schmitt can share that distinction with former Steelers quarterback Charlie Batch, who lined up under center for the Eagles in the 1990s.

Junior linebacker Daniel Holtzclaw anchors Easter Michigan’s defense. He was a freshman All-American two years ago and finished 16th in the nation in tackles last season.

The only other meeting between Pitt and Eastern Michigan took place in 1995. The Panthers dominated the Eagles, 66-30, to earn one of their two victories that season.

It’s always important to start strong, but this year, it’s essential that the Panthers set out in the right direction, as their schedule becomes increasingly arduous down the stretch.