High School Musical gets high marks onstage

By TOM VANBUREN

“High School Musical” Starring: John Jeffrey Martin, Arielle Jacobs, Chandra Lee… “High School Musical” Starring: John Jeffrey Martin, Arielle Jacobs, Chandra Lee Schwartz, Bobby List Directed by Jeff Calhoun Runs through June 19 Tickets starting at $21.50 Benedum Center for the Performing Arts 719 Liberty Avenue (412) 456-6666

While most Disney Channel original movies quickly fade into obscurity, others manage to skyrocket into the realm of cultural phenomenon. In the case of “High School Musical,” now a stage production, the target culture is pre-pubescent, but that doesn’t keep this show’s heart-tugging sweetness from charming older audiences, too.

When the students of East High return from winter break, the captain of the basketball team, Troy, is reunited with Gabriella, a girl he met on vacation. The two hit it off at a karaoke contest on New Year’s Eve, discovering a mutual love for singing. At school, however, neither of them is known as a singer, and outing themselves as performers would shake up the social dynamic in unpredictable ways. Making matters worse, Troy and Gabriella are falling for each

Opportunity presents itself in the form of the drama club’s upcoming auditions for “Juliet and Romeo,” a neo-feminist retelling of the classic story of forbidden love. Troy and Gabriella find themselves auditioning together, even receiving callbacks for the title roles. They find opposition, however, in the form of Sharpay and Ryan. The triple-threat brother and sister have gotten the leads in the past 17 school productions, and they will use every diabolical scheme they can concoct to keep themselves from being shown up at the callbacks. Faced with choosing between their friends and their dreams, what are two forbidden lovers to do? Why, break the mold and reach for the stars with the power of song and dance, that’s what.

The essence of “High School Musical” is the same as the movie. The story and the songs are almost direct translations, but the stage version has a sense of vitality that is missing in the original. The movie, with its obvious lip-synching and often amateurish choreography, can easily bore and alienate viewers. The choreography of the stage show, however, is energetic and well executed. While the movie often settles on emphatic bouncing and arm waving, these actors push their bodies to their limits, from energetic pairs dancing to full-company production numbers.

Most noteworthy is the song and dance number, “Get’cha Head in the Game,” featuring Troy and the basketball team at practice. While the movie interspersed a few brief dancing segments with the team running plays, the stage show features a fully-choreographed number with the team bouncing, passing and dribbling across the stage to create a complex human beat-box of skidding sneakers and bouncing balls.

The rest of the show operates under this same principle: take the song from the movie and make it bigger, better and louder. It consistently works, as the best numbers from the show feature the company. Several numbers like “Stick to the Status Quo” and “When There Was Me ‘ You” have been reworked to feature more cast members, and when the ensemble sings in full force, its infectious energy fills the entire theater.

Even compared to the overwhelming group numbers, the individual performances never fail to impress. John Jeffrey Martin and Arielle Jacobs charm as Troy and Gabriella, channeling the innocent sweetness that permeates most similarly G-rated romances. Just like Rizzo in “Grease,” however, the real stars of the show are the ne’r-do-wells. Chandra Lee Schwartz scores big laughs as the outrageous Sharpay, who’s every bit as obnoxious as her hot pink and turquoise outfits. Bobby List, as Sharpay’s effeminate brother Ryan, keeps up with Schwartz the entire time, making them a hilariously despicable team.

“High School Musical” is what’s to be expected from a Disney musical. It has an inspirational message for younger audiences, but also has genuine heart that makes it a sweet and engaging show for the older crowd. The themes and the fictionalizations of high school politics are familiar territory, even bordering on old and tired. Still, that doesn’t stop it from being charming in its own right. If you have a sweet spot for the saccharine flavor of Disney musicals, “High School Musical” won’t disappoint. Even if you miss the show in Pittsburgh, more than 60 cities are lined up for the upcoming tour, and with two movie sequels underway, this phenomenon is far from over.