Moonlight Matinee Theater at The Oaks Theater

By MIKE SMITH

Moonlight Matinee Theater at The Oaks Theater Shows run until Sept. 2. Saturdays at… Moonlight Matinee Theater at The Oaks Theater Shows run until Sept. 2. Saturdays at midnight, Sundays at 10:00 p.m.

It happens all too often that I become frustrated with going to a major cineplex anymore. The prices of movies keep going up. Too many obnoxious teenagers talk through the whole movie. The candy is $8 a box, and the popcorn is stale. Fortunately this summer, taking a trip to Oakmont will be well worth the price of admission for a movie ticket. This summer, the Oaks Theater in Oakmont, Pa., celebrates its fifth year of the Moonlight Matinee Festival, a series of films that play late night throughout the summer. The Festival doesn’t host new movies, but rather cult classics and great films from the past. 2007 will be no disappointment, as the theater offers some of the best films of the last two decades in their lineup. Among their films this year are:

“Reservoir Dogs” Quentin Tarantino’s first feature contains every bit of greatness all rolled into one. The movie features some of the best dialogue of the century, great characters and a twisty diamond-heist plot. The film was made on a cheap budget but has become a cult classic over the last decade.

“Goodfellas” Perhaps the greatest mob picture ever on film, Martin Scorsese’s intense crime drama follows the lives of Henry, a man who grew up entirely around the mob. The masterpiece features an Academy Award-winning performance by Joe Pesci and one of Robert DeNiro’s best performances. The film spawned dozens of copycats, but nothing can live up to the original.

“Caddyshack” This Cinderella story has become widely known as one of the greatest comedies in history. From a floating candy bar, to Rodney Dangerfield’s one-liners, to raunchy humor of all sorts, this comedy is sure to generate tons of laughs in every viewing, especially at midnight in a crowded movie theater full of people laughing along with you.

“The Shawshank Redemption” Perhaps one of the best films of all time, this powerful motion picture probably plays more on television than any other film. The emotional story of a wrongfully imprisoned man and his sentence at a Maine prison has touched nearly everyone who has seen it. The movie contains powerful acting, flawless directing, and an inspirational story from Stephen King. It’s a must see.

“Dazed and Confused” No other film has captured the 1970s more than this clever comedy by Richard Linklater. It features an up-and-coming cast – it’s tough to miss actors like Ben Affleck and Matthew McConaughey – and a lot of drugs. This cult classic is bound to scare freshmen everywhere.

“Fight Club” Rule #1: Everyone go see “Fight Club.” David Fincher’s take on modernity, violence and capitalism has its place among the greatest films of the 1990s. Edward Norton stars as an insomniac who meets Brad Pitt’s semi-psycho soap salesman and decides to form an underground fight club. The film has depth and requires multiple viewings to truly understand some of its undertones. Plus, there’s lots of great fighting.

“A Clockwork Orange” Not everyone is able to sit through Stanley Kubrick’s science fiction without yelling at the screen in confusion and anger. Regardless, the film provides a great story of one of the most ruthless individuals to come across the silver screen: Alex de Large. Kubrick’s film has great visuals, unique camerawork and a powerful story that keeps you glued to the screen, even if you despise the characters you are watching.

To view a complete list of the Moonlight Matinees, visit www.theoakstheater.com.