Kiddies, Cowboys and farmers

By JESSICA BOPP

CLO’s “Oklahoma!” The Benedum Center 719 Liberty Ave. (412) 456-6666 Tickets start at $16.50… CLO’s “Oklahoma!” The Benedum Center 719 Liberty Ave. (412) 456-6666 Tickets start at $16.50

What do cowboys, farmers and 7-year-olds have in common? This summer, Pittsburgh’s Civic Light Opera will perform the Rodgers and Hammerstein classic “Oklahoma!,” featuring seven young local actors ranging in age from 7 to 13 years old. These young performers are students of the Pittsburgh CLO Academy of Musical Theater, where they receive an education in dance, music and acting in order to prepare for their roles in stage shows like “Oklahoma!”

“Oklahoma” runs until July 1 at the Benedum Center, located at 719 Liberty Ave. The hit musical tells the story of cowboy Curly McLain’s struggle to get the farmer girl of his dreams, Laurey Williams. Packed with tension, the musical explores the trials of the cowboys and farmers, particularly of Curly and Laurey’s farmhand, Jud Fry, who also has his eyes set on Laurey. “Oklahoma!” features classic songs to accompany its rousing story. Such songs include “Oh, What A Beautiful Mornin’,” “People Will Say We’re In Love” and, of course, “Oklahoma!”

Pittsburgh CLO’s production of “Oklahoma!” also features the legendary film star Shirley Jones, who played Laurey Williams in the 1955 film adaptation of “Oklahoma!”

Tickets start at $16.50 and groups of 10 or more are eligible to purchase tickets at a discounted rate. For more information, call (412) 456-6666 or go to www.pittsburghclo.org. You can also stop by the box office at Theater Square to purchase tickets in person.