Blades goes to Redskins

By JEFF GREER

From one swamp to another – graduated Pitt linebacker HB Blades, a Florida native, is headed… From one swamp to another – graduated Pitt linebacker HB Blades, a Florida native, is headed to Washington, D.C. The Washington Redskins selected the 5-11 inside linebacker in the sixth round of the 2007 NFL Draft over the weekend.

Blades was the 180th overall pick, and the second Redskins pick on Sunday.

Washington selected Louisiana State safety LaRon Landry in the first round Saturday. The Redskins then added strong-side linebacker Dallas Sartz from Southern Cal in the fifth round, quarterback Jordan Palmer from UTEP and tight end Tyler Ecker from Michigan Sunday.

The Redskins play a 4-3 defense, with a linebacking corps anchored by nine-year veteran London Fletcher.

Fletcher, who stands at 5-10, is similar in a lot of ways to Blades. He was always regarded as too small or too slow. Nine years later, Fletcher is expected to start in the middle of the Redskins’ defense.

Known for his strong work ethic and leadership, Blades started three consecutive seasons for Pitt – both for former coach Walt Harris and current coach Dave Wannstedt. He earned three first-team All-Big East honors and third-team All-America honors after the 2006 season.

The 240-pound Floridian comes from a family filled with football pedigree.

Blades’ father, Bennie, played in 10 NFL seasons – nine with the Detroit Lions and one with the Seattle Seahawks. Bennie Blades, a safety, made the 1991 Pro Bowl.

Blades’ two uncles, Al and Brian, along with Bennie, played at Miami. And, like Bennie, Al and Brian played in the NFL as well.

Sadly, Al Blades was killed in a car crash in 2003, after two years with the San Francisco 49ers.

Brian Blades played 11 seasons, all for the Seattle Seahawks, and was selected to one Pro Bowl in 1989. He had four 1,000-yard-plus and five 70-catch-plus seasons.

But to carry on the family tradition, Blades has a lot of work to do. Washington’s rookie mini-camp starts this weekend.

Blades joins fellow Pitt stars Darrelle Revis and Clint Session in this year’s Draft class.

Revis, a cornerback, was selected 15th overall by the New York Jets. Session was taken in the fourth round by the defending Super Bowl champion Indianapolis Colts.

With Fletcher and Gibbs in Washington to tutor Blades, family backing him and friends from college around the league, it’s Blades’ turn to give the NFL his best shot.