Not a scholarship athlete? Join the club(s)

By LAUREN MYLO

You don’t have to be an athlete on scholarship at Pitt to get on a team. Club sports not… You don’t have to be an athlete on scholarship at Pitt to get on a team. Club sports not only offer the competition you played in high school, like baseball and hockey, but they also offer opportunities to play water polo or be a part of an equestrian team, giving Pitt students a chance to try basically anything they could ever want.

Sports with men’s and women’s teams

The crew teams at Pitt compete in fall, winter and spring in different regattas around the country under head coach Daniel Grancea. The team can be reached for more information at its website, www.pitt.edu/~crew or e-mail [email protected].

Next, ice hockey. Both the men’s and women’s ice hockey teams play competitive games against other area schools. The men’s team plays their home games at the Blade Runners in Harmarville, Pa. – about 20 minutes from campus – and holds tryouts throughout Labor Day weekend. For more on the men’s team, go to www.pitthockey.com and for the ladies’ team, contact Jocelyn Girlado at [email protected].

Pitt also has men’s and women’s water polo club teams that compete in the Collegiate Water Polo Association. The teams practice and compete at home in Trees Pool. The men’s team is intercollegiate and both the men’s and women’s teams have a website at www.pitt.edu/~sorc/pittpolo.

Lacrosse is another sport available to both men and women. Both teams play at the Cost Center on campus, and students can participate or learn more about the sport through practices and competing in local games. The women’s website is www.pitt.edu/~sorc/ladyplc and the men’s is www.pitt.edu/~sorc/lacrosse. The men compete in tournaments in the fall and face conference opponents in the spring.

At Pitt, not just men can play football – both women and men have their own rugby teams. Men’s practices begin in August, and they compete through October with a lighter schedule in the spring. They practice on the Cathedral lawn or at the Cost Center and play at Frick Park. Anyone wanting to sign up can e-mail [email protected].

And Frisbee is not just something you’ll see students playing for fun on the Cathedral Lawn. Ultimate Frisbee is a highly competitive club sport at Pitt with both men’s and women’s teams. More information can be obtained at the club’s website, www.pitt.edu/~sorc/frisbee/index.html.

Just for the men

Women’s tennis has its own team at the varsity level, therefore Pitt men have formed their own club tennis team. They play during the fall and spring semesters and compete against other club teams and lower division schools on weekends throughout the season.

Men’s club baseball plays against other club sports in the area, and is advised by William W. Clark, who can be reached for more information at [email protected].

Just for the ladies

Women’s fast-pitch softball has weekly practices and also plays games and participates in tournaments. For more information, e-mail [email protected].

Fun for all

Panther Equestrian Club gives lessons in horseback riding for anyone wanting to learn more about the sport. It also gives opportunities for students to compete in Intercollegiate Horse Show Association competitions and participate in volunteer work and community service. For more information, contact the club at its e-mail address, [email protected] or go to their website at www.pitt.edu/~sorc/horses.

On an even more daring side, Pitt has developed its own skydiving club. All levels of skill are welcome, and the club offers training and various jumping opportunities for students who want to participate in all kinds of jumps and competitions. To find out more information, e-mail the club’s adviser Ron Hoelzeman at [email protected].

To find out more about some of the other club sports at Pitt – because these aren’t all of them – take a walk over to Posvar Hall during the Student Activities Fair the weekend before fall classes begin. There, you will most likely find the following club sports: badminton, bowling, field hockey, roller hockey and many others to suit your desires. Just because you’re not on athletic scholarship doesn’t mean you can’t still compete.