Squirrel Hill fun and food

By KATE MICKERE

When you tire of the busy and gritty streets of Oakland and long for a homey atmosphere,… When you tire of the busy and gritty streets of Oakland and long for a homey atmosphere, head on up to Squirrel Hill-a cute and casual neighborhood bordering Oakland. Squirrel Hill is easily accessible from the many bus stops on Forbes Avenue, and the buses usually arrive every 15 minutes. What’s more, Squirrel Hill’s many shops and restaurants are guaranteed to lift the Oakland blues. Here’s a rundown of some Squirrel Hill hotspots every Pitt student should know about:

Aladdin Eatery 5878 Forbes Ave. (412) 421-5100 This Middle Eastern restaurant specializes in vegetarian meals that are both healthy and delicious. There are meat dishes, too, like the succulent lamb and chicken gyros. Aladdin Eatery’s smoothies and fresh fruit juices are out of this world. The prices are reasonable, too.

Cold Stone Creamery 5800 Forbes Ave. (412) 422-2291 The popular chain sells premium ice cream and frozen yogurt. Cold Stone Creamery is special because the store is filled with toppings that can be mixed in with the ice cream. Patrons can choose toppings like brownies, cookies and fresh fruit to create their own unique flavors. If you give the servers a tip, they might even sing for you.

Eat ‘n Park 1816 Murray Ave. (412) 422-9184 So you’ve just caught a late-night movie in Squirrel Hill and now you’re starving. Where can you grab some inexpensive fast food? Eat ‘n Park cuisine is a staple for college students since the restaurant stays open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Gullifty’s 1922 Murray Ave. (412) 521-8222 Want to down a quality dinner and indulge your sweet tooth, too? This popular Squirrel Hill restaurant is known for its award-winning desserts. You can also catch some musical entertainment here if you know when to drop by. They have live jazz on Monday and Wednesday nights from 8-11 p.m.

Dozen Cupcakes 1707 Murray Ave. (412) 420-5135 Dozen is a new cupcake bakery known for its decadent desserts. Flavors like Root Beer Float, the Elvis, Orange Blossom and Mint Meltaway put a new spin on the classic cupcake.

Manor Theatre 1729 Murray Ave. (412) 422-7729 Are you into independent cinema but don’t know where to check it out? This quaint movie theater shows indie and foreign films alongside popular hits.

Jerry’s Records 2136 Murray Ave. (412) 421-4533 If you like your tunes retro, then Jerry’s Records is a treasure trove of hits. The store is crammed with records. The albums are incredibly cheap, most under $5. These prices will make you wonder why you ever bothered with CDs and iPods.

Avalon Exchange 5858 Forbes Ave. (412) 421-2911 After you’ve picked up your vintage tunes you can head on up to Avalon Exchange for some vintage fashion. This fun store has racks upon racks of bright vintage clothing. The wigs, accessories and shoes, all affordably priced, make this a great place to spice up your wardrobe when you’re on a budget. Be sure to stop in around Halloween, as the store is filled with specialty costumes.

Color Me Mine 5887 Forbes Ave. (412) 421-2909 Distract yourself from homework with a trip to Color Me Mine. This pottery store is a DIY heaven. Customers can buy inexpensive pottery pieces to decorate. The store has a nice atmosphere, and it’s perfect for relaxing from school stress. Squirrel Hill is filled with unique stores and ethnic restaurants. Exploring the neighborhood is especially nice on a sunny day, when you can stroll leisurely down the streets. The above businesses are just a sampling of what Squirrel Hill has to offer. Come out and see the rest for yourself.