Most plan to get jobs after Pitt

By LAURIE ZINBERG

Senior Bana Eyasu came to Pitt as a Nursing major, but it did not take her long to realize… Senior Bana Eyasu came to Pitt as a Nursing major, but it did not take her long to realize it wasn’t her passion. A year later, she declared herself an economics major.

Four years later, Eyasu is just weeks away from graduation, and – along with many other students – about to enter the demanding and (hopefully) monetarily rewarding workforce.

When students obtain an undergraduate degree, they are given various options for their next possible course of action. They can choose to go to professional school, graduate school, enlist in the military or enter the ever-popular realm of getting a job.

The majority of students go off and get a job right after graduation. After 874 seniors at Pitt completed a survey last year, 86 percent had jobs after graduating – 28 percent planned to go to graduate school.

“The job market has increased in recent years, making it more appealing to students. Not as many seniors need further education to get a suitable job. Those in business, public relations, nursing, journalism and engineering are most likely to enter the workforce straight out of school,” Barbara Juliussen, Associate Director of Career Services.

Pitt students who want to enter the workforce do not have to search far for accessible opportunities to help guide them in the right direction to a successful career.

The Office of Career Services holds numerous job and internship fairs throughout the school year to encourage students to open up networks with companies and organize portfolios.

“Internships are extremely important, because they give students valuable experience and companies look for. It doesn’t matter what the person’s degree is in, but what businesses are looking for are the skills and experience the person has,” Juliussen said.

Students around campus agree that real-life experience before graduation is a necessity.

“I had an internship in California during the summers of my junior and senior years. It gave me the upper hand because I learned so much about the company and what it would be like to work there full-time,” Eyasu said.

After two years of experience at MetLife in Orange County, California, Eyasu decided that was the place for her.

“The interview process to get hired as a full-time employee was so nerve-wracking. It was during winter break and I had finals until that Saturday, flew out to California on Sunday and had a presentation to present at MetLife on Tuesday. They gave me a verbal offer on the spot,” Eyasu added.

After the initial turmoil of applying to a job, the stress level seems to go down for many students.

“I had an internship with the real estate company I just got full-time hired by a few months ago. I’m not worried about leaving college really, just because I’m already somewhat familiar with the job and know it’ll give me really good experience in the field,” finance major Aaron Marks said.

Even though some students may find the transition from college to the work force to be big, there are several tips that can help make a first job a successful one.

The Office of Career Services holds many seminars for students during “Real World Week” to prepare seniors for their upcoming careers in their occupational field.

Ways to manage money after graduation and proper business etiquette were fleshed out during “Real World Week” which provided students with useful tips on how to make a good impression in the workforce, how to properly use dinner silverware and how to dress appropriately.

“To really make the most out of a first job and to further advance their career, students should continue the networking process, establish strong relationships with people in their company and be prepared to go beyond what is expected of them in the workplace,” Juliussen said. Seniors, like Eyasu and Marks, may be leaving dear old Pitt shortly, but it is apparent that if they choose to jump into the workforce, their undergraduate degree and time at Pitt and elsewhere will only help further their careers in the future.