Students will vote on papers

By DREW SINGER

Student Government Board met last night after a relatively quiet week of business.

Just… Student Government Board met last night after a relatively quiet week of business.

Just one week ago SGB expected to be discussing the results of the student vote on the USA Today and New York Times readership program.

“We were supposed to have the vote this week,” President Shady Henien said, but it had to be postponed until April 16, because of “issues with portal availability and space.”

A student vote approval of the program would bring daily subscriptions to both the USA Today and New York Times. They would be available around campus for $2.50 per semester, per undergraduate student.

In addition to the subscriptions, USA Today would also bring some unique programming to Pitt at no additional charge.

“We would like to aim for at least one major event per semester,” Scott Streit, a representative from the USA Today readership program and Pitt alumnus, said.

The programs would involve USA Today bringing guest speakers to Pitt at no additional charge to students.

Henien hopes that the student vote will be extended instead of lasting only a day or two like originally planned

“Hopefully, the voting period would be the entire week, so there are no excuses,” Henien joked. “Every student can vote and voice their opinion on this issue.”

Henien also used the meeting as an opportunity to thank the Pitt Program Council for the recent Nas concert, which was free to students.

“I think it was pretty exciting, and it made history as well,” Henien said.

“This is the first hip-hop event in the past six years at the University of Pittsburgh, so I think that is pretty amazing. The house was packed.”

Henien also addressed a recent event that, while it wasn’t musical, certainly made a lot of noise around campus.

“Also, Ann Coulter, I heard that was a great time,” Henien said. “I think that it is very important that we go out and bring controversial political figures into the University to educate ourselves.”