Bigelow Bash features Live

By LAUREN MYLO

Senior Dave Harvitz is wearing a rainbow-colored suit. He leaps onto an inflatable wall and… Senior Dave Harvitz is wearing a rainbow-colored suit. He leaps onto an inflatable wall and hits the nine foot mark. And stays there.

The Velcro Wall was just one part of Saturday’s Bigelow Bash.

Sarah Ollio, the incoming Pitt Program Council special events director, said she and all the members of the Pitt Program Council had been working hard to pull the event together.

“I was happy that so far the weather’s held out for us,” she said. “It was supposed to be bad, but so far so good.

“I’ve been checking IDs all day, and it seems like all ages have been coming around, it seems like everybody’s coming out.”

Saturday’s Bigelow Bash, an event put on by the Pitt Program Council each semester, consisted of an illusionist, airbrush tattoos, wild rice necklaces, caricatures, a putting green and bean bag toss, and a booth where students could put on costumes and pose for free antique-looking photographs.

“They don’t have this every day, and I’ve got a lot of work at home so this gets me out of the house,” Harvitz said as he put his normal shoes back on. “Despite the rain, it’s been a pretty cool event.”

The weather only worsened as the day went on, but that didn’t stop students from coming out to get free massages, free slushies and “dirt” sundaes, and balloon animals from Carmen the stilt walker. Carmen could make anything from wizard hats to intergalactic vests as well as come up with her own designs like a fish on the end of a fishing pole when students asked for surprises.

Harvitz and his friends had also watched the pierogie eating contest held earlier in the afternoon.

Junior Steve Willis beat out nine others who were trying to eat the most pierogies in three minutes. He ate 22.

“It’s just pierogies,” he said. “You do what you gotta do. My technique was to bite them in half and shove water in my mouth.

“I was in the zone,” he said. “The pierogie zone.”

Playing throughout the day were a number of bands. Ollio said they had tried to get something for everyone and had featured a country group, the group Bon Journey, hip hop artist Wiz Khalifa and the winner of the Battle of the Bands: The Saturn Five.

“We pretty much do the same things as past years with a little added twist, and the bands really brought that this year,” she said.

“We chose Live because we know that people know them and they’re big,” she said in regards to Saturday’s headliner. “We hope that everybody can enjoy it.”

Around 6 p.m., Live took center stage. While some students crowded under the shelter of the William Pitt Union’s roof to avoid the pouring rain, others braved the weather to get close to the stage.

Senior Dave Pfendt joined his friends to watch the classic band’s performance.

“This is the first Bigelow Bash that I was excited for since I was a freshman because it was a band I grew up listening to,” Pfendt said.

“The concert was a blast except for the rain.”

Other students weren’t as excited about seeing the band, but attended anyway.

“I’m not a huge Live fan, but concerts are always fun no matter who’s playing,” freshman Mike Ickes said.

“I just hope that the lead singer didn’t shave his hair because the partly bald with the exception of the pony tail is pretty awesome.”

Playing songs from their first album in 1991 as well as their seventh and most recent album from last May, the five members of Live managed to kick the energy level on Bigelow Boulevard up a little.

“What happened to spring?” the lead singer Ed Kowalczyk asked. “Spring has like, gone insane and left us.”

But overall, it was another hit of a bash.