Basketball player Benjamin arrested

By JEFF GREER

Pitt basketball player Keith Benjamin was arrested last Friday and charged with one count of… Pitt basketball player Keith Benjamin was arrested last Friday and charged with one count of simple assault and domestic violence for his involvement in a “violent domestic dispute” with his former girlfriend, Pitt student Ashley Olczak.

According to the complaint filed by Pittsburgh Police, officers responded to the call some time after midnight and found Benjamin and Olczak arguing in the street outside of 111 Hyman Place, which is located between Burrows Street and Hill Drive in northwest Oakland.

Olczak was bleeding from her right knee and had several scratches on her face and neck. When police spoke with Olczak, she said she and Benjamin were previously in a relationship and lived together in the past.

Olczak said the couple was in a verbal argument over car keys and Benjamin became violent when she hit him in the chest.

The report says Benjamin then punched her on the left side of her face, Olczak pushed him again, and Benjamin punched her a second time on the same side of her face, forcing her to the ground.

The police responding to the scene said in their report that they observed swelling and a bruise on Olczak’s right cheek. Olczak said she didn’t know how she got the other injuries, but she said she suffered them during the fight.

According to the complaint, Benjamin said he blocked several of Olczak’s punches with his hands. Benjamin denied hitting Olczak.

Both Benjamin and Olczak refused medical treatment, the complaint said.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported Wednesday that Benjamin was arraigned and is scheduled to have a preliminary hearing today at Pittsburgh Municipal Court.

“At this juncture, the athletics department is aware of a situation regarding Keith Benjamin,” a Pitt athletics department spokesman said, declining further comment.

Benjamin and Pitt head coach Jamie Dixon could not be reached for comment. Olczak declined to comment yesterday pending the hearing.

Benjamin is a 6-2, 190-pound wing player. The junior played in every game this season for Pitt, averaging 3.3 points and 1.5 rebounds per game in 11.3 minutes.