Uniforms not all bad

By DEREK FAISH

At some point in our young lives, most of us have had to wear a uniform. If you’re not… At some point in our young lives, most of us have had to wear a uniform. If you’re not wearing one at a current job, you will likely slip into a uniform for a summer job as a waiter, waitress, or the like.

In jobs like these, being confined in a uniform is one of the worst aspects of the workday. A uniform can even be a good enough reason to quit.

However, in the fashion world, uniforms can have very interesting aspects that are worth a second look. Although they are usually not fashionable, they can be cute. A friend of mine waits tables at a ’50s diner in State College, and wears poodle skirts and Mary Janes. In high school, when working at a pizza shop, I remember receiving compliments on my sexy apron. In this way, uniforms can be a fun and silly way to get dressed up and provide an excuse to do so.

Uniforms can give us some fashionable trends if we look close enough. There is a sense of cool consistency with these outfits that can be desirable in every dress. Wearing just black and white might be a welcome change from the everyday, as long as it’s without the apron.

So, let’s look for some ideas. In the ’80s, many fashion designers were using military inspirations in some of the world’s most stylish lines. Models were wearing dog tags and dark, military green. A lot of blouses and men’s shirts were cut boxy and had big pockets with ruffles – camouflage was a fairly popular item as well.

Designers have also focused on non-combat uniforms. Especially in the ’90s, designers hinted at formal military uniforms by introducing trim cut suits for men and women with subtle, single stripes and polished material.

Nowadays, there are many understated cues from the military uniform that can be nicely pieced into fashion. Many designers have introduced military-inspired styles such as cargo pants and trim, olive-colored tees.

UPS brought about one of the most famous uniform styles. This is a company that has made brown its signature color to imply a standard and reliable, if not boring, quality. The area of interest is the cut: The shorts that UPS men and women wear probably wouldn’t be allowed in most high schools. The cut makes these uniforms especially good for loading boxes in and out of the truck and is helpful on hot summer days.

We may be able to gather inspiration from this. The crisp, casual look of the UPS uniform can be a welcome change when we want to feel good and look provocative and productive at the same time.

Another famous uniform is the one worn by the female employees of Hooters, which is certainly inspired by pop culture. While most uniforms tend to promote a safe look, these are the opposite. This uniform attempts to be controversial and sexy, and is now famous and recognizable. It’s a uniform that’s anti-uniform.

Some girls might even imitate this uniform with the trademark orange shorts and white tank-top to invoke a positive conditioned stimulus in the brain with their guy of choice. Also, those short-shorts can be a very welcome and stimulating look during the hot summer months.

Uniforms aren’t all that bad; they can surprise us by providing insight and inspiration for today’s fashions simply by hinting at classic colors and designs. Uniforms can be good muses for a unique and cute motif for the day.

If you think Hooters needs better uniforms, e-mail Derek at [email protected].