Mayor highlights Oakland for CBS News feature

By TIM STIENSTRAW

The Mayor wanted hot wings, but Pittsburgh Police Commander Kathleen Degler told him that he… The Mayor wanted hot wings, but Pittsburgh Police Commander Kathleen Degler told him that he would have to come back some other time.

After all, he wouldn’t have wanted greasy fingers when he shook peoples’ hands or sauce on his face when he’s on national television this weekend.

Mayor Luke Ravenstahl shook hands and greeted workers on Forbes Avenue in Oakland on Tuesday, and a national news team from CBS News recorded his trek.

The footage will be part of a segment on Ravenstahl and new Steelers Head Coach Mike Tomlin featuring CBS Correspondent Joie Chen.

“It’s the youngest mayor and the youngest head coach. It’s odd, but here it is in Pittsburgh,” Chen said. The segment is set to air on CBS this Sunday morning, she said.

The team had just come from an interview with Tomlin, and Ravenstahl decided to highlight Oakland for his segment.

He said he wanted to come to Oakland because it was an area that he had not had a chance to tour. He added that it was a great part of the city and he wanted to show that it was a “destination.”

“I wanted to give it the national attention,” Ravenstahl said.

Shadowed by a camera and boom microphone, he shook hands with shoppers and diners, asked managers and owners about their stores and took interest in upcoming developments like the Red Oak Cafe.

Ravenstahl walked into many shops on Forbes Avenue, including Quaker Steak and Lube, Electronics Boutique and Radio Shack.

Chen questioned Ravenstahl about his personal life, and asked why he and his wife have no children.

“It’s been a busy six months,” he said.

Though he didn’t get to have wings, he did stop into Caribou Coffee as he circled back toward the car for a cup of coffee and a few more handshakes.