Hibbert, Hoyas prevail

By JEFF GREER

NEW YORK – It was a strange weekend in the Big Apple. Perennial Big East powerhouses… NEW YORK – It was a strange weekend in the Big Apple. Perennial Big East powerhouses Connecticut and Syracuse missed the Big East Tournament semifinals for the first time since 1997.

Yet a recent tradition maintained itself.

Pitt reached the Big East Championship title game at Madison Square Garden for the sixth time in seven years with victories over sixth-seeded Marquette and second-seeded Louisville.

The third-seeded Panthers (27-7) avenged regular season losses to both teams en route to Saturday’s showdown with Big East regular season champion Georgetown.

But Georgetown (26-6) pasted Pitt in the third meeting between the Big East powerhouses, 65-42, winning its seventh Big East Tournament championship in program history.

“We were disappointed [to lose the title game],” Pitt head coach Jamie Dixon said. “But we had two wins against great teams and played well in those games, and I’m the kind of guy who looks at the 27 wins, not the losses.”

Senior Antonio Graves averaged 13 points over the three-game stretch, earning a spot on the All-Tournament Team.

Pitt 89, Marquette 79

With 3:39 remaining in the first half, junior guard Ronald Ramon nailed a 3-pointer at the top of the key to push Pitt ahead, 30-29. The Panthers never rescinded the lead, holding off a late 9-1 Marquette run to advance to the semifinals.

It was the first time Pitt defeated Marquette in three games this season. The Panthers had five players in double figures and sank 27 free throws.

“We got a lot of great efforts from a number of guys, and our balanced scoring speaks to that,” Dixon said. “We had a very good week of practice, and we were definitely looking forward to this game.”

Gray scored 22 points, including eight from the foul line, and snatched 10 rebounds. The 7-footer tallied his 15th double-double of the season.

“I had some big baskets [Thursday],” Gray said. “Sometimes to stretch the lead a little farther, sometimes to stop a run that Marquette had. My teammates did a great job of getting me the ball in a position where I could score, and I was able to finish.”

Sophomore Sam Young led the Panther bench with 17 points in 19 minutes. The 6-6 forward often found space in the middle of Marquette’s two-three zone defense, attacking the basket from the high post immediately after receiving entry passes.

Pitt’s bench outscored Marquette’s, 21-5.

Cook had 16 points and seven rebounds in 34 minutes. The 6-4 Philadelphia native scored 14 points in the second half, including two free throws to ice the game.

“I was kind of nervous there in the first half, not really being aggressive,” Cook said. “But once I got comfortable, I wanted to come and show everyone what I can do on the big stage.”

Pitt 65, Louisville 59

The Panthers went on a 20-2 run to start the second half and sank six foul shots in the final minute to overcome an 11-point halftime deficit.

Senior guard Antonio Graves scored 23 points and seven of Pitt’s final nine points. The 6-3 guard nailed four of his six 3-point attempts and slammed home Pitt’s victory with a two-handed dunk as time ran out.

“I was happy for the way we responded being in an 11-point deficit,” Dixon said. “I’m proud of [Graves] for knocking down big shots. He’s practiced hard and worked hard, and hard work pays off.”

Cook added 13 points and eight rebounds for the Panthers, who shot 63 percent from 3-point range in the second half after missing all six of their attempts in the first period.

Gray battled foul trouble the entire contest, collecting two fouls in the first minute and his fourth foul with 11 minutes left in the game. But the smaller lineup held off a persistent Louisville, forcing 15 turnovers and collecting nine steals with an active two-three zone.

“I think we’ve got a lot of guys who are willing to step up at any given moment,” Graves said. “We just knew we had to be more assertive and definitely had to get the rebounds. But our defense is what turned the game around.”

Louisville finished the first half on an 8-0 run, but shot 32 percent and did not attempt a free throw in the second half.

Forward Terrence Williams was the only Cardinal scoring double figures, totaling 18 points. The 6-6 sophomore also dished out nine assists and grabbed seven rebounds in 38 minutes.

Georgetown 65, Pitt 42

Gray slumped under Pitt’s basket, hands on his knees, eyes cast downward. The 7-footer’s pair of misses in one possession embodied his performance.

His hands virtually in the cylinder for each shot’s release, the ball spun this way and that, but never down, as the senior finished a forgettable night, shooting one for 13.

“His shots didn’t fall,” Dixon said. “I think it was just one of those days where things don’t go well.”

Roy Hibbert owned Gray in the Big East Championship game, outplaying Gray in the battle of the big men. The 7-2 center had 18 points and 11 rebounds.

But the Panthers shot 26 percent, making just three of their 17 3-point attempts. Young was the only Pitt player in double figures with 10 points.

“We never got in a rhythm offensively,” Dixon said. “Once we fell behind, it just became tougher to get things going against a tough team like Georgetown.”

Georgetown’s Jeff Green, who took home the Dave Gavitt Trophy for the tournament’s most valuable player, torched Pitt for 21 points.