Countdown to city “Idol” being named

By VICTORIA PRESCOTT

Campus Superstar

Carnegie Hall

Tomorrow at 7 p.m.

Free with college…

Campus Superstar

Carnegie Hall

Tomorrow at 7 p.m.

Free with college I.D.

(412) 621-8875

Tomorrow night, 10 of the most musically inclined college students in Pittsburgh – including two Pitt students – will belt it out, “American Idol”-style, at the first annual Campus Superstar competition.

Sponsored by the Hillel Jewish University Center, the event is expected to draw in large crowds for a night of musical entertainment as competitors give it their all for a chance at a handsome scholarship and bragging rights of being the best student singer in the ‘Burgh. The top prize is a $5,000 scholarship, with two runner-up awards of $1,000 each.

Held in the elegance of Carnegie Hall, the formal event supersedes any karaoke affair or typical talent show. Campus Superstar will be a professionally produced performance, complete with choreography and live musical accompaniment. Moreover, the show will be hosted by former “American Idol Star” Elliot Yamin.

More than 100 college students from Pittsburgh campuses tried out at the initial auditions back in November. The audition pool was narrowed down to 24 semifinalists who competed this past February in the William Pitt Union for a spot in the final showdown at Carnegie Hall. The competition will be judged by local celebrities, including Etta Cox, Lynn Cullen, Ken Rice and Richard Rauh.

Two Pitt students, Alyssa Thatcher and Emily Simpson, have been chosen as finalists for the competition.

Thatcher says that she has essentially been preparing for tomorrow night’s performance for years.

“The song I chose for the final concert is one that means a lot to me,” Thatcher said. “I’ve sung ‘Travelin’ Light’ with different bands anywhere from my hometown of Easton, Pa., to Florida, to Denmark. It’s almost become a part of me – a trademark song, so to say. So in terms of individual preparation, this song goes way back.”

In addition to student performers, Elliot Yamin will deliver his own featured number. Also to perform are the VoKols, the Hillel Jewish University Center’s a cappella group.

Tickets are free to college students and are available only at the Hillel Jewish University Center, located at 4607 Forbes Ave. Tickets can be purchased until 7 p.m. tomorrow.