SGB discusses plans for lighting up the Cathedral

By DREW SINGER

Student Government Board met yesterday evening to discuss an array of issues ranging from… Student Government Board met yesterday evening to discuss an array of issues ranging from safety and athletics to the most aesthetically interesting, the possibility of permanently lighting the Cathedral of Learning blue at night.

The proposal to illuminate the Cathedral in blue lights every evening is prepared and will now be sent to Chancellor Nordenberg for approval.

“This would cause more Pitt pride,” board member James Priestas said. “I’d love to have it.”

Refurbishing of the Cathedral’s tarnished exterior is expected to conclude one week before next year’s homecoming, which is when the University would first reveal the new lighting.

“So, hopefully, it will all work out,” Priestas said.

Last night also marked the final SGB meeting before the future of the USA Today and New York Times Readership program will be determined.

The student body will have the opportunity to vote over the Internet on whether or not it wants to keep the program, which has been in a trial period for almost a month. From then on, the newspaper subscriptions would cost each student $2.50 per semester. The vote will be on April 5 and 6.

SGB also announced yesterday that the final town hall meeting of the year will focus on issues regarding the greek community.

“I really appreciate everybody who has come out, and I think that the town hall meetings have been so successful,” President Shady Henien said.

“We have talked about many topics, and the Student Government Board has gotten a better idea of understanding what some of the issues are on campus. This is only making us stronger as a board.”

Henien also used the meeting as an opportunity to comment on the University announcing the construction of new sports facilities on campus.

“I want to commend the University administration for establishing this important deal with Oak Hill. I think it is amazing that we are finally going to have a soccer field and a baseball field on campus,” Henien said.

“This is huge, because the future of our athletics really depends upon the establishment of the fields here on campus.”