Trendy tans perhaps not here to stay

By DEREK FAISH

As summer weather finally starts to emerge, students are breaking out their T-shirts, shorts… As summer weather finally starts to emerge, students are breaking out their T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops. We are blessed to live in a place with seasons where the weather forces us to drastically change our looks.

Summer will always have its staple looks, and many dress like they’re going to the beach. Another important trend is the golden suntan, which is also a must-have item in fashion.

For those of us living in Pittsburgh, it’s hard to define our summer look, and most go for functionality, comfort and sexiness. Summer looks are always a hot item with designers and retailers, and the season is an important time for fashion houses when they’re gearing up to make a splash for the spring and summer seasons.

While trends vary, there’s been one consistent theme throughout the past decade: Everyone has to have a tan.

Most students lucky enough to have gone somewhere exotic for spring break know how envious their friends were upon their return. It seems that everyone loves a nice sun tan, and it has become the ultimate in summer accessories. Celebrities always appear to sport a beautiful tan, which contributes to maintaining their fit and youthful look.

Of course, being tan will always be a regular, mainstream look. The popularity of tanning salons constantly increases, and more regular people are starting to make the trend their own. Although there are harmful health effects to tanning, both in a tanning bed and with the sun, many are undeterred, and continue to expose themselves to the rays.

Many are willing to take such risks because of the beauty that comes from tanning. In the fashion world, being tan is especially desirable and provides for a more toned physique. Also, it allows some to pull off summer California looks: Certain colors, especially white, might look better against darker skin tones.

For the most part, being tan can create the illusion of health. While John F. Kennedy probably can’t attribute his presidency to wearing tan-inducing makeup, it certainly helped in his televised debates against the pale and sweaty Richard Nixon.

Tanning might make you look healthier, but it’s clearly not always the healthiest option. One alternative that can satisfy both sides is using a sunless tanner. These were once a dreaded skin treatment, which resulted in streaky and orange-tinted skin. Science has greatly improved the quality of these products, and their results can look very balanced and natural – they’re a decent alternative to risky tanning.

While tanning seems like a trend that’s here to say and an important feature of summer style, I think it will eventually lose its popularity.

Anything leathery-looking is certainly an epidermal faux pas, and moderation is the key to looking good for those who tan.

I predict that lighter, paler skin will come into vogue, especially because of the physical dangers posed by the sun. Since we are aware of the damage the sun can potentially create, tanless skin can and should look great to everyone.