New classes Arrive

By ELI DILE

Pitt students will have the opportunity to sail the high seas for three weeks this summer… Pitt students will have the opportunity to sail the high seas for three weeks this summer during a new history class.

Maritime history and the Great Lakes, a four credit history course, will be taught aboard the U.S. Brig Niagara, a reconstruction of the 19th century warship of the same name, from July 12 to Aug. 1 on Lake Erie.

The course surveys the development of maritime power in the Great Lakes, the roll of wooden sailing ships and the importance of the Great Lakes in the international economic system. Weather permitting, the class will be taught on the upper deck of the ship.

Students will work with the Coast Guard-certified crew to sail the ship and will be taught the basics of sailing. Students will stand watch and will learn about knots, line handling and working aloft

Participants will study and work in an authentic historical environment and experience firsthand the life of a sailor. In addition to taking care of the ship, they will sleep in hammocks and eat food from a wood-burning stove.

“There are so few opportunities for students who study history to experience history,” William Chase said.

A Pitt history professor, Chase helped to establish this new participatory course. He said that when people study history, they are only observers, but with this course they will be able to live history.

The program includes – weather permitting – day and overnight sails and visits to ports and historical sites.

The Niagara is docked at the Erie Maritime Museum. It is a square-rigged, two mast warship. It is a reconstruction of the vessel that Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry commanded when he defeated the British squadron at the Battle of Lake Erie, a pivotal battle during the War of 1812.

The ship is inspected by the Coast Guard, and the crew of 16 is all Coast Guard certified.

Timothy Walker, an assistant professor of history at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, will be teaching the course. Maritime history is one of his fields, and he has taught courses during Semester at Sea. He has also taught onboard the ship used during the filming of “Master and Commander.”

Chase, who has sailed on the Niagara, thoroughly enjoyed the experience. “The wind was going. You really felt open and kind of, I don’t want to say, free, but it lifted your spirit. It was really cool,” Chase said.

There are 20 spots available for the course. The University will accept students of all majors. History advisers Anthony Novosel or Loretta Lobe can be contacted for further information regarding the course and registration at 412-648-7451.