Still the Master

By JEFF GREER

SAN JOSE, Calif. – If there was anyone who would beat Pitt at its own game, it would be former… SAN JOSE, Calif. – If there was anyone who would beat Pitt at its own game, it would be former Pitt head coach Ben Howland and his UCLA team.

Much had been made of the history between the two coaches but the stories about Pitt head coach Jamie Dixon and his mentor, Howland, ended when the ball hit the hardwood floor.

Immediately the game plans of both teams became apparent – with no UCLA regular taller than 6-9, the Panthers found Gray in the post the first two possessions.

The Bruins took 25 seconds off the shot clock the first three times up the floor before even moving toward the tin, establishing the crawling pace they like to play.

The battle lines drawn, Thursday’s Sweet 16 showdown at HP Pavilion lived up to its billing – second-seeded UCLA, playing just 337 miles from its Westwood, Calif., campus, exchanged blows with the third-seeded Panthers the entire game before prevailing, 64-55.

UCLA (29-5) used its physical guard play and quickness to take leads as large as eight in the first half. But Pitt handled the Bruins’ half-court traps and fought back to a 32-26 deficit at the break.

UCLA’s lightning-quick point guard Darren Collison and All-American shooting guard Arron Afflalo made all the difference in the opening 20 minutes, combining for 17 points, six rebounds and three assists.

The Bruins double-teamed Gray in the post, hassling him each time he received a pass.

As a result, Gray had a forgettable two-for-five performance in the first period.

But wing Mike Cook tallied seven points and the Panther bench added eight to counter UCLA’s tenacious defense and keep Pitt close.

In the second half, Gray came back from his first-period struggles right away, scoring two quick baskets in the first two minutes of the period. That’s when UCLA did what it does best – protect a lead.

The Bruins held Pitt (29-8) to one point for a critical seven minutes after Gray’s second layup.

With 14 minutes remaining in the game, UCLA reserve Michael Roll found space in the left corner. The 6-5 sophomore splashed a 3-pointer that pushed the Bruins ahead by nine, 40-31.

It was a lead too big for the Panthers to overcome.

The Bruins, however, did not exactly slam the door.

Missed jumpers, botched free throws and bad turnovers kept the Panthers within striking distance most of the contest.

But an ice-cold Pitt never managed to right the ship offensively, save for a few 3-pointers by reserve guard Ronald Ramon and a feverish late comeback.

The 6-1 sharpshooter hit a pair of back-to-back 3s to cut into UCLA’s lead.

His second, a high-arching shot that beat a winding-down shot clock, got the Panthers within seven.

UCLA pushed back ahead by 12, controlling tempo. The lead appeared insurmountable.

Then Ramon hit another pair of 3s. Then Fields added one. Suddenly, Pitt trailed just 56-51.

But Roll struck again. A 15-foot jumper from the baseline put the Bruins in front by three possessions. The fouling game ensued, and UCLA did what most good teams do: hit its free throws with the game on the line.

Afflalo finished with 17 points and seven rebounds while Shipp added 16 points and five boards.

In his final game at Pitt, Gray struggled to 10 points.

The NBA prospect shot 5 for 11, and his post presence was never completely felt.

It was the first-ever meeting between Dixon and Howland, best friends who asserted that they’d never play each other unless the NCAA Tournament pitted them against one another.

Sure enough, for the second year in a row, the NCAA Selection Committee placed the two teams in the same region.

But like Howland in his days at Pitt, Dixon could not coach the Panthers past the Sweet 16. UCLA will play No. 1 seed Kansas on Saturday.