Visram leads Pitt tennis to three consecutive wins

By KATELYN POLANTZ

Sabrina Visram is unstoppable.

The Pitt freshman climbed to a 9-0 record in singles play… Sabrina Visram is unstoppable.

The Pitt freshman climbed to a 9-0 record in singles play for the tennis team after Pitt shut down Robert Morris, Youngstown State and Providence last week.

Last Monday brought Robert Morris to challenge the Panthers at home at Club 4 Life. Visram, Kristy Borza, Annie Davies, Christie D’achille, Leah Friedman and Carlie Smith worked together to trump the Colonials, winning all but one point in the doubles matches and taking every match in singles play.

Visram took on Katie Kravits, winning 6-0, 6-1 games, before Borza, Friedman, Smith and D’achille finished the day with two shutout sets against each of their opponents in singles play.

The win streak continued for Pitt on Wednesday when the Panthers hosted Youngstown State.

The doubles point went to Pitt when the three teams of Borza and Friedman, Davies and D’achille, and Smith and Visram controlled their matches with 8-0, 9-7 and 8-1 wins, respectively.

No. 1 singles player Borza then earned her fourth shutout on the season against Gina Peretti.

Smith, Visram, Davies and D’achille followed Borza’s lead, winning sets of their own against Youngstown State players Emily Thayer, Nicole Harambpolous, Tanisha Welch and Tierra Lanc.

The quartet of wins after Borza’s start put Pitt up 5-0 for the match. The only Pitt player to falter for the day was Leah Friedman, the No. 2 singles player on the team. She lost to Michelle Fuleky in three sets despite winning the first set, 6-3.

But Fuleky held her off as the match wore on, ending their battle with back-to-back 6-2 sets. The defeat marks the only point given up by Pitt in a home match this year.

The Panthers finished the day with a 6-1 win over the Ohio-based foe, bumping their record to 6-2.

Big East opponent Providence then joined Pitt at Club 4 Life Saturday. Pitt topped the Friars to win its second-conference and sixth consecutive match at home.

D’achille, Borza and Friedman killed their challengers with perfect play in their singles spots.

Visram cruised in her singles set against Jen Cusack with two 6-1 scores, and Smith and Davies also capped the match with wins.

The strong singles showing followed three rounds of doubles play in which the Panthers won two 8-1 decisions and one 8-2.

Pitt shut out Providence, 7-0.

The Panthers now stand at 7-2 on the season and 2-1 in the Big East.

Their next match is today against Robert Morris at 4:30.