Panthers gymnasts honored

By LAUREN MYLO

Despite its loss to Ohio State Saturday night in a home dual meet at the Fitzgerald Field… Despite its loss to Ohio State Saturday night in a home dual meet at the Fitzgerald Field House, Pitt gymnastics’ evening was both important and memorable.

Not only were the Panthers commemorating the 25th anniversary of the NCAA championship of former Panther gymnast Lisa Shirk, but the team was honoring its seniors as well.

Gymnasts Andrea Arlotta and Jessica Garber and student assistant coach Robyn Marszalek were honored for Senior Night.

Arlotta is in her second year as co-captain and obtained her 1,000th career point as a junior. She was a three-time East Atlantic Gymnastics League gymnast of the week, a member of the EAGL All-American team and was Pitt’s team MVP in 2005 and 2006.

“You put everything you have into this when you’re a college gymnast,” Arlotta said. “Then after your last meet, it’s done. I actually think about it all of the time – it’s really sad.”

Garber is a co-captain with Arlotta and earned EAGL All-American team honors twice. Marszalek owns a career-high performance of 38.475 and is a three-time NACGC/W All-American Scholar-Athlete.

“I’m really going to miss my seniors,” Pitt head coach Debbie Yohman said after the meet. “I think they’re great, and they’ve done a great job as team leaders.”

Ohio State (6-4) took the win Saturday in front of a crowd of 470 with a final score of 195.025 to 191.875.

The Buckeyes took high scores for all events except the floor exercise. Three of their members scored high with solid performances in the all-around.

Junior Maalika Moore-Thomas and sophomore Alyssa Meyer each notched 38.975, and junior Kaylan Clevinger scored a 39.000.

The meet began with the vault and uneven parallel bars.

On the vault, Pitt’s Kirsten Dahlberg and Dani Bryan tied their personal best records of 9.650 and 9.875, respectively, but Ohio State pulled away and won 48.750 to 48.575. Ohio State sophomore Amanda Surine won the event with a 9.900.

On the uneven bars, Ohio State junior Kaylan Clevinger won with a score of 9.800, giving the Buckeyes that event as well.

Going into the final two events, Ohio State led 97.500 to 96.950.

Pitt faltered on the balance beam with a score of 46.175. Ohio State tallied 48.875 on the beam, sophomore Kiki Holman coming away victorious with an individual score of 9.825.

Ohio State scored a 48.650 on the floor. When Pitt’s turn came, it trailed 146.150 to 143.125.

With teammates cheering and up-tempo music blasting, Arlotta tied her personal best record with a floor routine score of 9.900.

Pitt freshmen Shannon McConnell and Jessica Byich scored personal bests of 9.800 and 9.725, respectively, but the team’s overall score on the beam loosened the previously close race irreparably.

“The beam was terribly unaggressive tonight,” Yohman said. “[Our team] looked like they slept walked through beam, and they just carried themselves without much pride. I’m dumfounded.

“I hope they’re mad about beam, because I am; I think they’re better than that.”

According to Arlotta and Garber, work remains to be done on certain events before the next meet, but both were happy with their personal scores. Garber had her season-high score of 9.625 on the floor exercise while Arlotta won the floor and scored 38.450 all-around.

The team has two remaining meets before the EAGL and NCAA Championships in March. With a current record of 7-3 overall and 3-1 EAGL, the Panthers anticipate improving at Kent State later this week.

“I’m excited to see everybody do the best they can,” Garber said. “I think we’re going to end up on top and surprise a lot of people.”

According to Yohman, her team will be more focused and prepared against Kent State.

“The one thing I’m feeling about [Kent State] right now is that we’re going to get back in the gym, and we’re going to stay on the beam,” Yohman said.

Ken State hosts the meet Feb. 23 at 7:00 p.m.