A closer look…

By GEOFF DUTELLE

The Teams After setting a new mark for the best start to conference play, the Pitt… The Teams After setting a new mark for the best start to conference play, the Pitt Panthers (21-3 overall, 9-1 Big East) return home to the Petersen Events Center as they welcome Providence (15-7, 5-1) tomorrow evening. Tip-off is set for 6 p.m.

The Coaches Jamie Dixon holds a 97-25 record as he guides the Panthers for the fourth season while Tim Welsh heads the Friar sideline for the ninth season, boasting a 142-121 record.

Coverage ESPN will pick up the action on channel 27 in Pittsburgh. FM NewsTalk 94.5 FM (WWSW), Fox Sports Radio 970 AM (WBGG) and SIRIUS Satellite Radio (channel TBA, found on SIRIUS’ Web site) will all have the radio call.

The Series Pitt has claimed the last six meetings between the two, pushing the Panthers’ overall series edge to 25-16. The Friars last took a contest from Pitt back in 2001 with a 77-61 home win.

Last Time Out Antonio Graves (18 points), Aaron Gray (17) and Carl Krauser (14) led Pitt to a 41-27 halftime lead that even Sharaud Curry’s 24 points couldn’t overcome as the Panthers took an 81-68 decision in the Petersen Events Center last February.

Young Guns The Friars will send out a young starting five much like last season, featuring four sophomores and only one senior, but that hasn’t done much to hurt the offense. Led by Curry’s 17-point per-game clip, Providence has four starters averaging double figures as the Friars (77.8 points per game) rank second in the Big East in scoring.

Unafraid Providence is 2-2 against ranked teams this season, splitting a pair with No. 12 Marquette and defeating then-No. 23, and current ACC leader, Boston College 73-64 back in November. Current No. 1 Florida was the other ranked team to top the Friars in early December.

Comeback Kids In front of a stunned home crowd, the Friars erased an eight-point deficit with only 1:41 remaining to claim a 71-70 contest against Cincinnati on Tuesday night. Curry scored nine of his game-high 24 points in the final 1:34, including the ultimate game-winner, to key the comeback.

Stifling Defense Pitt held West Virginia to a season low in points during Wednesday night’s 60-47 win in Morgantown. Not only was it the first home loss for the Mountaineers this season, it also marked just the seventh time in 29 games that the Panthers won in the WVU Coliseum.

Home Cookin’ Tomorrow’s contest is the first of a three-game home stand for the Panthers. After tomorrow’s game, Pitt will entertain Louisville on Monday (7 p.m. on ESPN) and will step out of conference next Saturday for a matchup with Pac-10 foe Washington (2 p.m. on ESPN).