Snow gear should still look sassy

By DEREK FAISH

When the weather gets bad, even the most detailed and fashion-forward people can skip out on… When the weather gets bad, even the most detailed and fashion-forward people can skip out on looking good. Many of us choose comfort over appearance, which is especially forgivable when Pitt cancels classes for the first time in years and the temperature drops into the single digits.

We all know it’s important to keep warm – my mother still reminds me to wear a hat and gloves in this kind of weather. In the bitter cold of February, leaving the house unequipped for the chill is tantamount to a death wish.

But being fashionable doesn’t rule out being warm. I believe that practicality is a luxury: Purpose should precede style, and form should follow function.

Outerwear is always a good investment, like a good pair of jeans or a hearty cashmere sweater. Regardless of the weather, winter clothes usually start to go on sale in February as stores are making way for spring collections. So now can be a great time to pick up a bargain that will get a lot of use this season and for seasons to come.

This fall, many different designers and retailers came out with great three-quarter length overcoats that are very popular among young people because of their blend of elegance and comfort. They offer a casual way to look professional while staying relaxed.

As a great addition to any wardrobe, this item is easy to recommend to everyone. An overcoat like this is casual enough to wear with jeans, but can also be worn with a suit or more business-like clothes. And, of course, it looks great with scarves and other accessories.

Accessories, like jackets, can also be found at a bargain this time of year and have become a staple in winter fashion. Accessories are a great way to add texture and depth to an otherwise boring ensemble. Hats and gloves can also be the perfect way to add color to brighten or take down a look.

The biggest mistake people make in this arena is choosing accessories that look too cheap. A great way to avoid this is to sport solid colors with rich knits in your hats and gloves. Bulky, large stripes are a bit tacky and should be avoided. Leather offers a good alternative to knit gloves, which can break down with continued use. Leather gloves are relatively inexpensive, durable and warm, and can add a sophisticated yet unfussy touch this winter.

Another mistake people make with accessories is not matching them. Just like your belt should match your shoes, your hat should match your gloves and scarf. All three of these items should complement each other for a smoother and more pleasant effect.

Also, accessories should not clash with your jacket and outfit. In choosing accessories, it’s important to pick colors and fabric that will go with many of the clothes you already own. Picking fair colors will keep your look in sync and add versatility and practicality to your winter fashion ensemble.

The biggest winter faux pas of all is wearing sneakers with a more formal jacket or overcoat. Nothing looks worse than this inexcusable folly, which is even worse than Ugg boots and parachute pants. It makes for a very unpolished and coarse look that was slightly popular in the 1980s but was always a bad idea.

The inverse is also true. If you have a dressier outfit, a large, puffy jacket won’t look right with nicer pants or shoes.

Making everything fit, from shoes to accessories, is still an important part of fashion in the worst of whether. You’ll be happier and warmer with these considerations, which might just hold you over until springtime.