Oakland food offerings often unhealthy

By LAURIE ZINBERG

For college students, late-night cram sessions and killer weekends are the norm. Staying up… For college students, late-night cram sessions and killer weekends are the norm. Staying up until 2 or even 3 a.m. drives some students towards overeating or the hazards of the notorious late-night munchies.

Eating healthy in college can be hard with the vast amount of fat-ridden and calorie-bloated foods readily available to students.

In the surrounding Oakland area, there is a huge assortment of places to satisfy one’s stomach, but the contents of the consumed food may be more harmful to the body than beneficial.

“Anything fried is bad,” Judith Dodd, an adjunct assistant professor of sports medicine and nutrition said. “I mean, wings are not a good choice. It’s just a plate of fat.”

Students should always be aware of the caloric consumption in their food.

At the popular Chipotle Mexican Grill, for example, calories can add up quickly. According to the Mexican restaurant’s Web site, a burrito with chicken, rice, black beans, lettuce, tomato and cheese has approximately 1,059 calories and 37 grams of fat.

However, a simpler burrito of just chicken, lettuce and tomato cuts the calories down to 579 with 39 grams of protein.

“The toppings can be the worst thing,” Dodd said. “You can start with something healthy and then pile on things like cheese and sauerkraut, and suddenly the food has a lot more fat and calories.”

Five Guys Famous Burgers and Fries takes pride in the 80 percent lean beef and fresh ingredients used in its food. Here, a regular burger consisting of two patties is equivalent to 270 calories, and a regular side of fries is between 200 to 350 calories.

Aaron Joseph, shift supervisor at Five Guys, said, “You can add a lot of extras like ketchup, mustard and different vegetables and not be adding anything bad to the meal.”

Students definitely feel the fast food craze around Oakland. This past Tuesday, Five Guys restaurant sold more than 550 patties and more than 400 pounds of potatoes.

“On the weekends, those numbers double,” Joseph said.

Ostensibly, Panera Bread Company is one of the healthier food chains in Oakland, serving a plethora of salads. However, like any other food establishment, the nutrition of the food depends on what you order.

The popular chicken caesar contains 39 grams of valuable protein, but also has 560 calories with 34 grams of fat.

“A place can have excellent salads, but the dressing can put the fat and calories right back in,” Dodd added. “Get the dressing on the side.”

If a restaurant offers a reduced-fat or non-fat item, it would be wise to select one of these healthier ones over something else. For example, balsamic vinaigrette dressing contains around 350 calories, while fat-free raspberry has 50 calories.

Fast food can fill your stomach and not be a damper on your wallet, but if eaten too much, fast food can help produce heart disease, diabetes or high blood pressure.

Moderation is key. If students consume high-fat foods sparingly, then there is no significant damage done to the body. Chilidogs and steak burritos do not have to be the enemy if students eat responsibly.