Oscar fashion leaves lasting impressions

By DEREK FAISH

The Oscars are one of the highlights in the world of fashion. It’s like the ultimate high… The Oscars are one of the highlights in the world of fashion. It’s like the ultimate high school prom for all the important designers, celebrities and everyone involved in the fashion industry. The Academy Awards are one of the most anticipated nights in Hollywood, and the glamour is second to none.

It’s this kind of pageantry that sparks a whirl of interest from commentators and analysts in the world of fashion. Everyone loves to critique the latest in evening styles and criticize some of the world’s most beautiful people who wear them. All celebrities are interested in making an appearance and leaving a lasting effect on the red carpet. In the past, styles were talked about for months after being seen at the Oscars, from trend-setting looks to humorous follies.

Unlike the Golden Globes earlier this year, there was a return to traditional black-tie and evening gown attire. There weren’t any shorter skirts, which were popular at the Golden Globes. Women were seen in only full-length dresses, and men’s evening suits were better tailored and more traditional.

There were fewer deviations from timeless and very Hollywood-like tuxedos and bowties. Apparently, there’s less of a push for “creative black tie,” which introduced fanciful cuts and fabrics like silk and velvet. Generally, the Oscar attire was more elegant and less daring than what we saw a month ago at the Globes – the Oscars are regarded as a more formal affair, calling for tasteful conservatism over the act of trying too hard to impress.

This year’s Academy Awards offered a somewhat lackluster performance in terms of styles and new trends. All of the secret, under-wraps deals that designers make with celebrities yielded much of the same fashions we saw last year. But there was an all-around grace showing that Hollywood is becoming more tasteful and more fashion-sensitive. This year we learned that simple and elegant is better.

Perhaps the first fashion surprise of the night was host Ellen DeGeneres’ crushed red velvet suit with sharp white boots, which she eventually traded for other outfits throughout the evening. Another was an all-white ensemble, proving that it’s OK to wear white after Labor Day. It seemed that she was breaking the mold of the evening, wearing flashy and hip designs that perfectly highlighted her personality.

There were select others who also broke the mold last Sunday. Of the many winners, my favorite was Nicole Kidman, who was conventional Hollywood haute couture in a dress that exhibited a striking silhouette. She showed off a bright red halter dress that had a simple design but was cut to grace her body and was tied with a large bow on one shoulder. She was dressed as a gift to movie-star traditionalists who sought a return to classic style.

With winners come losers, and the biggest was Jennifer Hudson. Although she was perhaps the biggest surprise at the Oscars this year for her victory as Best Actress in a Supporting Role – particularly surprising considering her “American Idol” roots – her fashion failed her.

We can tell she is a red carpet amateur, as she wore a copper-colored dress that had fabric going in every direction. She also sported some sort of winged jacket which threw off the symmetry of her ensemble and was ultimately unflattering to her body. Even though she is new and very popular in Hollywood, she missed a great opportunity to make an impression with her dress.

The best-dressed guys were in dark brown evening suits. The fashion trend for women last fall was brown, and guys are starting to pick it up. Although wearing brown instead of black is an audacious step, it can be done right.

Such brave moves toward newer fashion were mostly non-existent this year, but that’s no reason to complain. Hollywood still displayed plenty of great fashion design elements and important conventionality that perfectly fit one of the most important evenings in entertainment.