EDITORIAL – UPJ kisses its kegs goodbye

By Pitt News Staff

It’s last call at Pitt Johnstown.

The University branch campus recently announced a new… It’s last call at Pitt Johnstown.

The University branch campus recently announced a new policy regarding on-campus parties held by campus-recognized groups, according to the Associated Press.

The new policy, expected to go into effect on Feb. 1, will outlaw kegs, hard liquor and glass bottles. No alcohol will be served after 1:30 a.m. with the proposed policy, and party guests will be allowed to bring in one six-pack of beer that they must check at the door with a sober student. This poor schmuck will also be in charge of monitoring alcohol distribution at the party.

While the concept of a sober student isn’t exactly revolutionary – most greek organizations exercise this practice already – the other measures seem to be ill-conceived.

The UPJ officials that came up with this less-than-brilliant plan aren’t going to be doing anything other than moving drinking off campus and killing the long social tradition of greek-sponsored parties. Students will find a way to get around the rules or they’ll just go off campus. This situation isn’t good for anyone.

One of the advantages of the UPJ campus is its layout and location. It’s a close-knit, woodland campus. In the past, students didn’t need to hop in their cars and drive any distance to socialize. And without a comprehensive public transit service, being able to party on campus was a good thing for students.

These new rules might very well achieve the opposite of their intended goal. It might force people off campus and into cars to find a party. We’re pretty sure UPJ doesn’t want to inadvertently or indirectly encourage drunk driving.

Organizations who want to socialize will have to register and be approved by the Student Life office as well as submit a guest list.

Have these people ever gone to college or a party? We don’t RSVP to parties. We get invited and we go. Or we don’t. There’s no way to come up with a comprehensive list beforehand. Maybe groups could print out the Facebook page advertising the party. That way, they’d know that three people will definitely be there, five people won’t, 75 people might attend and 304 have not responded. Fools.

Considering that UPJ isn’t at the top of most people’s top 10 party schools, we think this is overkill. Hopefully, student groups and administrators will be able to come up with a compromise that will recognize that the students as adults, maintain a social scene on campus and head off any potential party-related problems.

Maybe UPJ administrators just need to step back, relax and have a drink.