Insult comic reveals her secrets

By MIKE SMITH

Lisa Lampanelli

Byham Theater

Tomorrow, 8:00 PM.

$29.75

(412)…

Lisa Lampanelli

Byham Theater

Tomorrow, 8:00 PM.

$29.75

(412) 456-1350

If there is one message that Lisa Lampanelli delivers in her comedy, it is that no one is safe. Whether you’re on the stage with her, in the audience or in an entirely different room, you could be the next target of one of her jokes.

But Lisa Lampanelli, formally known as “The Queen of Mean,” is neither an amateur nor alone in her style: She stands among the “insult comics,” whose method of delivery can only be characterized as pulling all the punches and avoiding boundaries.

“When you start off, you should always notice what makes you laugh,” Lampanelli said in a recent interview with The Pitt News.

While the standup comedian gains plenty of attention as one of the most notable insult comics in the country, she is also well known as a professional roaster. On Comedy Central, she has performed in the roasts of Chevy Chase, Jeff Foxworthy, Pamela Anderson and, most recently, William Shatner.

Her next stop is here in Pittsburgh, and she will perform tomorrow at the Byham Theater. What should the audience expect?

“People pay extra to sit up front all the time,” Lampanelli said. “If people bought first, second, third, fourth row seats, they know what they’re gonna get.”

Forty-five-year-old Lampanelli has made a career saying the things that most people are afraid to say. Her politically incorrect humor earned her legions of die-hard fans, and her success as a roaster helped expand the variety of projects in her comic portfolio. Lampanelli appeared in the film “Larry the Cable Guy: Health Inspector,” and is set to appear in two films this year.

In Lampanelli’s standup, no subject is off limits. Her material includes jokes on race, sex, age and sexual orientation. Although she uses words and topics that are generally considered risque, Lampanelli feels that these topics shouldn’t be “taboo” – especially in comedy.

“There is no edge. The audience likes me enough to let me get away with it,” Lampanelli said, adding: “Am I really going to change for anybody?”

For some of the Comedy Central roasts, she was the only female comedian among the roasters. Lampanelli considers herself very different from most female comedians, as she has a strong male following in her fans. She makes the point of being different than most female comics by avoiding complaints leveled at men specifically – instead, Lampanelli makes fun of everyone.

While some take offense to her style, most of her fans admire it, viewing the controversial material as guaranteed good laughs. Whatever your personal thoughts are, it is unlikely that you will find a female comedian with such a racy act.

“I don’t listen to anyone who says I should be doing stuff differently,” Lampanelli said, “Because I know in my gut that it’s right.”