Burglary suspect caught

By JARED TRENT STONESIFER

Pittsburgh Police have apprehended and charged an Oakland man with 36 total counts of… Pittsburgh Police have apprehended and charged an Oakland man with 36 total counts of burglary.

Russell Jackson, 53, was literally caught red-handed by a Zone 4 officer at 6:30 p.m. Saturday night after a burglary in the 100 block of North Craig Street.

He had a stolen laptop computer in his arms and a bleeding hand when officers caught him on the 200 block of Melwood Avenue.

“He was the guy who had hit numerous student buildings in Central and North Oakland,” Detective Mike Pilyih said.

“This is definitely our guy.”

Pilyih said that Jackson specifically targeted student-occupied buildings and stole mainly laptops, digital cameras, jewelry and cash.

Jackson has been charged with 36 counts of burglary, but more could be coming.

According to Pilyih, Jackson is now under investigation for “numerous” other burglaries that he has not yet been charged for.

He is responsible for “a large majority” of the recent burglaries plaguing Oakland, Pilyih said.

Since burglary is a felony, each separate charge could carry a penalty of five to 10 years in prison.

Hypothetically, according to Pilyih, Jackson could spend the rest of his life in jail if convicted.

The arrest comes after city police promised a saturation patrol around Oakland with increased foot patrols and plainclothes police.

See The Pitt News for continuing coverage.