Walker drives Pitt to victory

By JEFF GREER

In Tuesday’s win over Robert Morris, Pitt women’s basketball appeared to be in a crunch. … In Tuesday’s win over Robert Morris, Pitt women’s basketball appeared to be in a crunch.

After starting the season without star guard Mallorie Winn because of a knee injury, Pitt’s scoring balance shifted to sophomore Shavonte Zellous.

But when a Robert Morris player landed on Zellous’ ankle and forced her to sit for the remainder of the game, the Panthers almost lost another key starter in the early parts of the 2006-07 season.

Four days, however, make a big difference.

Pitt (No. 24 ESPN/USA Today Coaches’) edged Ohio, 77-69, to stretch its record to 10-0. In a game featuring 14 ties and 22 lead changes, the Panthers used 52 percent shooting and two 9-0 runs to separate from the Bobcats.

“It was a great effort,” Pitt head coach Agnus Berenato said. “When you are ranked, everyone is after you.”

Junior center Marcedes Walker led all scorers with 30 points on 13 of 18 shooting. The Preseason All-Big East selection snatched 14 rebounds in her 35 minutes.

“Marcedes came to play,” Berenato said.

Zellous, who was seen walking on crutches with her foot in an aircast Wednesday, netted 21 points in 35 minutes of action. Zellous hauled in eight rebounds while blocking two shots and nabbing two steals.

As is the case in any Pitt contest, Berenato’s game plan focused on getting the ball inside. The Panthers outscored Ohio 56-38 in the paint, hitting 64 percent of their shots in the second frame.

Pitt’s four post players combined for 51 points and 25 rebounds despite playing without freshman center Selena Nwude for the second consecutive game.

Ohio used 13 bench points and 16 second-chance points to stay in the game, but Pitt held the Bobcats scoreless for three of the final five minutes.

“Ohio came out shooting really well,” Berenato said. “We had to fight to stay in it.”

With 3:52 left in the game, Ohio led 66-65. But the Panthers ripped off a 9-0 run over the next three minutes to ice the game.

Walker started the run with a layup off a pass from Karlyle Lim. Five points from Zellous and two more from sophomore forward Xenia Stewart pushed the Bobcats to the brink, and Zellous’ pair of foul shots with seven seconds left closed the door.

“There were 22 lead changes in this game,” Berenato said. “But it was a real gut-check.”

Stewart scored 11 points and grabbed seven rebounds in 31 minutes. Sophomore forward Sylvie Tafen tallied six points and four rebounds.

The Panthers did not hit a 3-pointer in five attempts.

Pitt held Ohio to 40 percent shooting while forcing 13 turnovers. Bobcats’ guard Lauren Kohn dropped 21 points, hitting 10 of 18 attempts from the field.

Fellow guard Simone Redd added 16 points and three rebounds. Off the bench, Alana Trotter racked up five points but ripped down 10 rebounds, including three offensive, in 17 minutes.

With finals week beginning Monday, Berenato was happy the challenge presented itself just before the student-athletes’ week became hectic.

“This was a great game for us to head into exams,” Berenato said. “We are thrilled with where we’re at — this has been an incredible month for us.”

Pitt’s unbeaten start to the 2006-07 campaign is the school’s women’s program record. Its No. 24 ranking in the ESPN/USA Today Coaches’ Poll is the first-ever ranking in the program’s history, and the Panthers should climb in the new polls Monday with No. 21 Rutgers dropping back-to-back games last week.

The Panthers look to continue their perfect season Dec. 19 in Cancun, Mexico, when they take part in the Caribbean Classic. Pitt will play East Carolina Dec. 19, Liberty Dec. 20 and consensus No. 4-ranked Duke Dec. 21.