Kids born into fame face issues

By ANGELA HAYES

Sue Erikson Bloland, who grew up “in the shadow” of the fame of her successful father, has… Sue Erikson Bloland, who grew up “in the shadow” of the fame of her successful father, has helped children of celebrities come to understand and heal wounds from their childhoods, but she expresses worry about the kids of today’s rich and famous like Madonna.

“It’s going to be very tough for them really,” she said, noting that adoption would present a double jeopardy. “They are going to have to deal with the fame.”

Bloland, daughter of renowned psychoanalyst Erik H. Erikson, gave a presentation Friday night about the effects of a parent’s fame on childhood and family life.

Bloland described her childhood experiences of growing up with a famous parent and discussed how she came to write her book “In the Shadow of Fame: A Memoir by the Daughter of Erik H. Erikson.”

“When there is fame in a family, fame is the god that everyone must obey,” she said.

“You come to see that there is something magical about fame itself, and none of us are immune to it.”

Bloland, a practicing psychoanalyst, recalled what it was like growing up with a famous father. She said his work dominated decisions in family agenda and was the “cornerstone of their lives.”

Through writing her book, Bloland came to understand her parents’ need for fame and how it connected to their pasts.

Looking for a common trend in the lives of famous people, Bloland examined the childhoods of her parents and the histories of others such as Leonardo da Vinci, Napoleon Bonaparte, Mikhail Baryshnikov and Andy Warhol. She said she could formulate two things present in the childhood background of people who are great accomplishers.

First, there is always some kind of abandonment, neglect or abuse, which undermines a child’s self-esteem. Next, Bloland concludes there is the presence of a parent who pushes his child to succeed, but does so to fulfill his own narcissistic needs, causing the child not to feel loved for who she is, but for what she can do.

“Children who have these early experiences adapt by becoming preoccupied,” she said, giving the example of Baryishnokov’s dancing as a way to escape his misery.

“In a sense, they are fulfilling healing from early childhood wounds,” she said.

For Bloland’s father, not knowing the identity of his biological father gave him an early sense of abandonment and a tense relationship with his stepfather. He adapted by becoming immersed in reading and writing about human relationships.

“You could do a lot worse than be famous and write wonderful books,” she said.

Mimsie Leyton, a graduate of Pitt’s Child Development Program, said that during Bloland’s speech, she attempted to think of famous people who did not fit Bloland’s theory.

“I kept trying to think of someone who is an exception, and I can’t,” she said.

Roberta Schomburg, associate dean and director of the School of Education at Carlow University and vice chair of the Pennsylvania State Board of Private Academic Schools, said the speech made her understand more about human vulnerabilities and what Bloland refers to as “the underside of fame.”

“We often think famous people are perfect, and yet we know that isn’t true,” she said.

Bloland’s presentation brought together an audience of experts in the many facets of psychology, students and faculty members who worked under Erikson. Erikson helped to found Pitt’s first concentration in childcare in 1953.

Ellen Dehousky, full time faculty member in childhood development at Carlow University and a Pitt alumna, called Erikson a “guru in child development,” whom she admired and respected. After Bloland’s presentation, Dehousky said she had an even greater respect for Erikson.

“I love Erik Erikson, and I love him even more for being a human being who struggled,” she said.

According to Bloland, the world’s geniuses struggle through life and no matter how much they accomplish, they never achieve true fulfillment.

Da Vinci said that he felt his work didn’t reach the quality it should have, Woody Allen expressed disappointment in never making a “great movie” and Erikson felt disappointed about never winning the Nobel Peace Prize.