Baroque emsemble to perform at Synod

By ROSS RADER

“Extravagant Inventions”

Les Boreades de Montreal

Renaissance ‘ Baroque…

“Extravagant Inventions”

Les Boreades de Montreal

Renaissance ‘ Baroque Society

Synod Hall

Saturday, 8 p.m.

The Renaissance ‘ Baroque Society will present “Extravagant Inventions” by Les Boreades de Montreal Saturday. The program features five instrumentalists from Canada, performing on violin, viola, cello and harpsichord.

Francis Colpron founded Les Boreades de Montreal in 1991. The ensemble chose to perform with the spirit of the Baroque era, performing with period instruments. The group has performed at the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam and at Salle Gaveau in Paris, and has given five concerts at the Nova Scotia Festival.

The Conseil Quebecois de la Musique bestowed Les Boreades de Montreal with the Prix Opus for best performance of the 1998-1999 season. The group has also recorded a dozen times on the ATMA label, which features accomplished musicians such as Herve Niquet, Skip Sempe, Manfredo Kraemer, Alex Weimann, Eric Milnes and Karina Gauvin.

The Renaissance ‘ Baroque Society is Pittsburgh’s Premiere Early Music Presenter, bringing early music performers to Pittsburgh from all over the world. The music of the Middle Ages, Renaissance, Baroque and Early Classical periods are brought to Pittsburgh, enlightening members of the audience with music rarely heard nowadays.

Les Boreades de Montreal is sure to inspire. Tickets are available at the door, by calling (412) 361-2048 or by visiting the Renaissance ‘ Baroque Society’s Web site at www.rbsp.org. A pre-concert talk for all ticket holders will take place from 7 to 7:30 p.m. in Synod Hall.