Internet is next frontier of fashion

By DEREK FAISH

The Internet offers a world of possibilities for the fashion world.

Many different aspects… The Internet offers a world of possibilities for the fashion world.

Many different aspects of the style world have been revolutionized since the dawning of the Information Age. Marketing is changing, and many retailers are relying on their Web site to be their No. 1 marketer. Famous Internet bloggers are being invited to fancy fashion shows, and spaces for advertisements on popular fashion forums are moving at top dollar.

With all the changes taking place in the online fashion industry, the commerce of style is the most important phenomenon. The business of purchasing clothes online has grown exponentially from 10 years ago, and this is a trend that’s bound to continue. Of course, this new marketplace is learning to coexist with the regular retail setting, like malls and boutiques, that can offer specific advantages to the consumer.

Buying clothes on the Internet is getting easier and easier, with a great variety and new options created daily. It can be very beneficial to spend some time surfing the net instead of in stores. With this, there are some tips to remember for making selections and placing remote transactions. A little research by the savvy consumer can pay off when seeking out your prefect cyber style.

This kind of Internet shopping is useful to us for many reasons. Maybe the most beneficial of these is its sheer ease. Online retailers are often less likely to run out of your size and they’re usually more likely to have the particular item you seek.

Let’s say you are searching for a coveted pair of black Yamamoto boxing shoes (good luck finding these sweet trends locally). Even if you’re looking for more popular Adidas Sambas, maybe in an alternate color besides black, you’ll encounter greater depth and a wider selection by searching a few stores on the Internet.

If you saw something in the store, chances are that it’s hiding somewhere in the Internet. If it’s a finicky item from a large clothing retailer — and especially if they didn’t have your size at the local retail outfitter — there will be great selection online. And if you fell in love with an obscure brand that was too expensive in the boutique, there are a few good online discounters that specialize in marking down high-end designers. These sites can offer great selection and choices within modest budgets, while inviting you to indulge in sweet brands, smart design and fine material. Bluefly.com and RevolveClothing.com are two Web sites not to be missed.

EBay is an important asset to any online shopper, and there’s sure to be some hits for any item of clothing in your search. There are search tools designed specifically for clothing, where you can indicate size, fit, shape and other criteria to match your desired discoveries.

Although eBay is a great place to buy and sell brand names, consumers have to be careful of fake items, a lot of which are purchased and shipped directly from outside the United States. There are several very useful buying and fraud protection guides on eBay that explain how to spot a knock-off, on items ranging from Seven For All Mankind jeans to Louis Vuitton handbags.

Sizing issues usually arise when purchasing clothes online — the hurdle is not being able to try clothes on. If you’re shopping at Abercrombie.com, you can safely assume that your favorite, new size L “muscle-fit” tee that you picked out will fit exactly like the 12 you already have in your dresser.

However, it’s sometimes useful to take measurements. A sizing chart is almost always provided on the company’s Web site. You can lay down your favorite T-shirt, take measurements and see how that stacks up the item in question. Also, knowing phrases like “true to fit” and “true to size” is important.

The former means that the item is sized to fit like the designer wants it to fit. The latter indicates an inch-by-inch measurement. Also, know the return policy. Some stores offer free return shipping and others can get mighty pricey.

It’s also important to be patient while waiting for your stuff to be shipped and arrive. Nurse this simple virtue, and your improved style will pay you back.

Join Derek in his online quest for fashion greatness. E-mail him at [email protected].