International students learn about winter

By MALLORY WOMER

For the dozen international students gathered in Dining Room A on Wednesday, the explanation… For the dozen international students gathered in Dining Room A on Wednesday, the explanation to the question “What is snow?” came just in time for the predicted overnight flurries.

“Winter in Pittsburgh” is an informational session hosted by the Office of International Services. It is one of several Passport programs offered by the office.

“This is a long-standing event that we do for international students,” Janine Fisher said, assistant director for International Programming and Public Relations for the Office of International Services. “You would be surprised by the amount of people who have never seen snow, who don’t have winter.”

When Fisher posed the question, “For how many of you will this be your first winter?” nearly all those in attendance raised their hands. A majority of the students also admitted to never seeing snow before.

While there may not have been many students in attendance, Fisher said that she receives many requests for the information provided in this seminar.

Assisting Fisher in the presentation of the program was George Kacenga, assistant director for International Admissions, who covered such topics as appropriate winter clothing, insulating apartments against the cold of winter, and how to drive in Pittsburgh in the winter.

Kacenga is responsible for coordinating international undergraduate admissions at all of Pitt’s campuses. At the Oakland campus, there are about 30 to 40 international students per undergraduate class.

Alejandra Boza, an international student in attendance at the event, came to learn how to best handle the cold.

“I’m from a tropical country, Costa Rica,” she said. “Cold is a new concept to me.”